like a silk spider web????

buddy08

SPS Addict
I have a few rocks in my tank with yellow tubes on them and at the end of the tube looks to be a mouth (it looks sort of like the concave shell on the bottom portion of a snail when it closes)...out of these worms are tiny silk threads that look like a spider web along the rock. i witness one of these things release its web and reel it in like you would with a fishing pole. Hopefully this made sense. What specimen is this in my tank and is it reef safe?

After a few google searchs, i think it may be a vermetid snail.. Again, is it reef safe?

Last edited:
Yes, vermetid and I have found them to be reef safe as long as you don't have an infestation of them. One or two is fine. The webs are just their way of catching food from the water column.

+1 d2mini. I started out with a few that were on a piece of live rock and in the last year they've multiplied to about 50!! I've tried breaking them off but it hasn't helped much.

Thanks dcan. I've read this before and just haven't worked up the courage to do it yet. I haven't used superglue in my tank yet and am a little reluctant. Do I need to remove the rock first or can this be done under water?

I also remember you responding to someone else last year telling them to take a paper clip and "poke them to death". Something about that statement made me LOL. Still does!

I also remember you responding to someone else last year telling them to take a paper clip and "poke them to death". Something about that statement made me LOL. Still does!

That is funny!

I just glued a couple shut in my tank. I was little worried, too, but it turned out to be no big deal.

from what i can see, i have roughly 5 or so in the tank, should i be worried with them or let them be and later one when they get out of hand become a "snail serial killer"?

Back