lil white trumpets and the slime...

project5k

Reef enthusiast
so, i posted some time back, and now i cant find the thread, but i have these little white trumpet looking things growing in my tank, well, thats been a couple months ago now if i remember, and just recently i found some new ones... and i found this slime thats on one rock... ideas? the trumpets are really really small, so thier hard for me to get a pic of...

i have the high res versions online, but trying to post them here is a real PITA so....

Attachments

• 10-1-09 001  s.jpg
    10-1-09 001 s.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 569
  • 10-1-09 002  s.jpg
    10-1-09 002 s.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 359
  • 10-1-09 004  s.jpg
    10-1-09 004 s.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 2,305
  • 10-1-09 005  s.jpg
    10-1-09 005 s.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 2,091
  • 10-1-09 007  s.jpg
    10-1-09 007 s.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 732
That slimy looking thing is a type sponge.I've got several of em in my tank.
Still aint got no idea on the trumpets.

one thing that i am struggeling with is the quality of the pictures that i'm trying to deal with to show them... cause if i resize the picture to make it so the system will let me upload them, then i end up loosing quality, i tried posting them directly but they are sooooo huge that its a real PITA to look at them on the forum, so i tried photobucket, jesus, i'll never go back there, there were more pop'ups and ads than i'm willing to deal with.. so......

are the images good enough quality? i know that they arent perfectly focused but i dont have a macro lense, and thats the best i can do when actually taking the picture...

I agree that the whitish stuff is a form of sponge. Touch it and see what it feels like. The trumpets unfortunately I can't even see. :( Sorry.

unless you are talking about those spiral looking things?
then those are just a filter feeder and good for the tank. cant remember the name

naw, the little spiral things are worms, like feather duster kinda things.. but the all white sticks are what i'm talking about...

heres a cropped version of the trumpets...

they dont seem to react when touched... so i dunno.

Attachments

• trumpets cropped.jpg
    trumpets cropped.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 340
Just a shot in the dark. Not even sure if it's possible. Maybe its a soft version of some extending coraline that will eventually harden??? I have no idea :shock:

id be more than happy to, and as soon as i know i'll let yall know, but as of right now, i just know that they are getting bigger, and it looks like there are more of them...

Ok first of all, you took that picture on my birthday last year!!

And what specifically are you asking about, cause as of right now i dont see anyting in that picture even close to what i see in my tank...

that is what i was wondering i am talking about the green stuph. thought maybe your was just white and not green.so i guess never mind. when they first started they looked like little trumpets. than blew up into these big mats

hmmm well, i dont know what these are gonna do, but theres nothing bubble like or green about them, they just look like the bell end of a trumpet, just sticking up, and there looks to be an entire family of them clumped together...

one thing that i think may be making the pictures look worse than they really are is that they are very small, but the other part is that it looks to me like the outter most edges of it are transluscent to clear, so while the picture looks like its outta focus, its really these, um, whatever they are, they just look fuzzy-ish kinda sorta...

Ok well I guess I'll give you my best guess. I'm guessing it is some type of sedentary tube worm. Take a look at this pic. I know these are brown but there are many many many types out there. So if it looks anything close to this, that is most likely what they are. I'm very curious so keep us updated would you?
Ryan

Attachments

• Sedentary Polychaete Worm.jpg
    Sedentary Polychaete Worm.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 455
Back