LilReef's first 60g build

Re: Newbie on board! - update

Hello everyone!
I havent posted anything for a while, so I thought I would just give an update.

I am working on my 60g set up, it has taken/will take a while to finish (this hobby is so expensive!!). I have given myself a year to get it up and running, so I am well on my way to possibly beating that goal...but here is my progress thus far....

I have set up a 20g that has been running since late march..??, doing well - I have 2 ocellaris, 1 bangaii & 1 algae blenny - all doing "swimmingly"!! :)

I have been stressing immensely about drilling my 60g..:chicken:.I am a DIY-er, so i hummed and hawed about doing it, then finally, I bit the bullet and wet for it! DONE! no problems - all that anxiety for nothing.
Now I am waiting on a shipment of bulkheads so I can begin the plumbing and building the overflow area. I have picked up all the PVC for a Durso, so that is the next step. I drilled 3 holes in the tank. (Durso/Return/Extra overflow) I am still trying to decide how the overflow area is going in. It may just be an overflow chamber for all three (overflows/return), or I might switch it up a bit and do something a bit more "artistic" - for lack of a better word! :Cheers:

I am considering a foam rock wall integrated with the overflow chamber - but I still have some thinking to do about that. (I am, however, practicing on a wall for a 10g tank just to see if I can do it and if it looks as good as the pics Ive seen online):compute:

My sump is ready...it's a 30g
The stand is partially built - I didnt want to spend $600+ for a pre-made stand, so I bought a steel tube stand, and now building a "skin" for it out of pine. right now it is just pine partially covering the black metal frame - again - Ideas floating around in my head about how to finish it change from week to week - so for now, the structure is there and the skin can come later. :mrgreen:

I think that's all I have to update for now...I'll post pics as soon as I have some relevant ones.

Suggestions/comments are always welcomed and appreciated!!

Re: Newbie on board!

Progress sound great, can't wait to see pics. What's the exchange rate in Canada, it must be outrageous, $600 for a 60g stand is crazy. I paid $120 for my 75 stand

Progress sound great, can't wait to see pics. What's the exchange rate in Canada, it must be outrageous, $600 for a 60g stand is crazy. I paid $120 for my 75 stand

I think it's pretty close to the US dollar right now...??

My very-expensive LFS had them on sale for $599 - pine...not worth it.
couldnt find anything cheaper or what I liked for less $$...so decided it would be less hassle and stressful if I just made my own. :)

So I was breaking up some rock today (this rock has been in my tank for a few months) and what do I find? A tiny little serpent star....about the size of a quarter (from the tips of his tentacles).

I'm not a big fan of things that look like little snakes (not that I mind snakes though....)...he's kind of creeping me out a bit.
I have the rock in a rubbermaid bin for the time being. Not sure if I really want this thing in my DT....I need to do some research I think...I hear they eat fish when they get big?

Anyone know how to move this thread out of the newbie section? :)

That's a totally different type of starfish -- it's a mini brittle star. It won't get any bigger than it already is. They are really common hitch hikers and are perfectly safe.

Oh really?? I guess that makes sense....after having it for 4/5 months & it only being that big.
Thanks Biff! I guess I'll keep him and just forget he's there (so he doesnt creep me out! LOL)

I'm thinking to the tank showcase/build thread? I am going to start adding pics of my progress on my 60g build.

The ridiculous thing isn't even the exchange rate... On pretty much anything you can anywhere from 20-80% . Even things like shoes where i bought a $150.00 dollar pair of shoes and then found them for like 80 dollars in seattle which is pretty ridiculous considering the dollar is almost at parity

Bulkheads arrived, bought all the parts for the Durso...The stand is almost done...just need to finish the doors, sand and stain...it's coming along... Pics soon.... :)

Here is the stand progress so far....still need to finish the doors, sand & stain. But its coming along! :^:

Attachments

• IMG_0351.jpg
    IMG_0351.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 236
the sump looks great! are you going to be able to fit it under your stand with all that bracing?

Oh yeah, lots of room. The braces are actually removable (if I absolutely need to), but I designed it so that both sides will have removable panels - the sump JUST fits nicely - lots of room between the top of the sump and the underside of the stand. (not a whole lot of room for the skimmer - but enough that I can do maintenance without any disruption.

I'll get around to taking a pic with the sump actually in the stand.

lookin' awesome!

is the egg crate to raise up the skimmer? whats the purpose of the eggcrate on top of the baffles?

Yes, the baffles are 12", and apparently the specs on the skimmer say max water level should be at 8-9".

I was actually just experimenting with the egg crate on the baffles. That middle section is for the fuge, I was planning on putting a piece across the top of those two pieces to keep "critters" in the fuge.

I dont know if it will do anything, but it will be very easy to remove if they really do prove to be useless!! LOL

Back