Lion Fish Help

Sharkie

The Damsel Defender
Alright, soooo I got the lion fish and he doesn't look all that hot at all... in fact, he seems to swim rather funny with his tail up in the air and his face towards the sand...

right now i've got him in the shark tank since lil sharkie is still in his egg case... my questions are these:

is there anything else i can feed him besides live food? the guy that gave him to me said that he ate live guppies but I can't get him to eat ANYTHING, which is worrying me big time, i'm usually good about gettin things to eat.

how potent is the sting? he keeps getting stuck between stuff or sucked into the filter intake and i have to pull him out because it looks likes hes strugglin...

what to do! D:

Try feeding it silversides or pieces of raw table shrimp. You will need to get it to eat using its prey instict. Like letting it blow across the tank via a powerhead or return.

How did you acclimate the fish and was it healthy acting when you got it? Have you tested the water? This is for the contest tank correct, just checking to make sure you have your bases covered as far as cycling goes.

Sharkie the sting is like a wasp or bee sting. I have a Dwarf Fuzzy Lionfish and they told me to feed it live fish as well. I thought it would eat frozen stuff but it only ignored it. Then I tried some flake food and it went crazy for it. Go figure, strange I know. I've had it about 2 months and it won't touch anything, even live food, only likes flakes! Try some flakes.

I had a fuzzy dwarf for several years until a heater accident. But he would only eat live shrimp and feeder fish. I was never stung by him but I hear they arent too bad as long as you are not allergic to bees. It took mine a few days of being in the tank before he would eat anything.

well, he finally ate..... live fish :( i wish he would take interest in something else... i feel so bad feeding him live things D: so for now hes eating minnows... i'm hoping to get him to take some shrimp in a bit... maybe with some coaxing! lol

You may have to try silversides on one of those feeder sticks Sharkie.
We've got several lions at the store to taking frozen foods that way.

Sharkie, if you have to keep feeding it live, you need to make sure you are feeding a saltwater fish. It wont get the proper Omega 3's from a freshwater fish.

I heard the sting can actually be deadly if you are allergic to it. Also, if the lion keeps getting stuck in the filter it means its in pretty bad shape so i would keep a close eye on it and try to get it to eat a variety of foods and soak it in selcon/garlic to try to give it a little extra boost.

Back