Lion fish that won't eat???

dragon3725

Reefing newb
I bought a lion fish on Tuesday and have had several dwarf lion fish. It won't eat feeder fish or shrimp. I don't know if I should try something else, or what to do because it hasn't eaten since we brought it home. Any ideas or suggestions? We realize it sometimes takes some time for them to get used to their new surroundings, but it has gone on a little long now. One of the dwarf lion fish we had did the same thing, never ate and then finally died. *HELP*

Something to ponder...about 2 days after we got her she laid eggs, now she is "mothering" the feeder fish. When she sees them, she goes after them, and scoots them underneath her with her fin, like she is protecting them from our eel. Ordinarily the eel will swim up, underneath her, but when there's a feeder fish under her, he will only come halfway across the tank, instead of the full distance to her. Could this have something to do with it? We have had 3 other lion fish and they seem to be very emotional, and moody, unlike the other fish we have had.:question:

its possible that its just being motherly right now... try giving it silversides, or other frozen foods... some take to those better :)

Something to ponder...about 2 days after we got her she laid eggs, now she is "mothering" the feeder fish. When she sees them, she goes after them, and scoots them underneath her with her fin, like she is protecting them from our eel. Ordinarily the eel will swim up, underneath her, but when there's a feeder fish under her, he will only come halfway across the tank, instead of the full distance to her. Could this have something to do with it? We have had 3 other lion fish and they seem to be very emotional, and moody, unlike the other fish we have had.:question:

She laid eggs? can I see. Dwarf lions are sometimes pretty sensitive to get to eat. What kind of dwarf is it?

I would get a clear dowl and start trying to get it to eat krill (make sure it has it eyes) please avoid feeding feeder freshwater fish, this is not healthy for your saltwater fish, they have difficulty digesting the fish, and won't live as long as they could.

:bounce:It's a stinging Lionfish. May NOT be the best advice, Sen. :bounce:

Should he soak his finger in garlic extract first? :)

uh, yeah that was a joke. Do not actually get the lion fish to bite your finger. On the other hand that would make a great Youtube video.

Back