Lionfish compatibility question

djpj001

Reefing newb
Hello everyone,

intro: I just started my first saltwater tank, which is a 90 gallon tank which has now about 60 lbs of live rock and 40 lbs of live sand fully operating. I was into freshwater before with a 90 gallon cichlid tank over 3 years. I decided to get into saltwater as a challenging experience and its beauty.

question: As I'm waiting for my tank to cycle, I can't help but the think of the fishes I want to get. My idea is to have a couple of lionfish’s with an eel, here is where the question comes into play ( sorry for not getting to the point), what other fishes can I get that would be compatible with lionfish’s and an eel?

Thank you,
DjPj001

Some types of puffers,tiggers(some are not happy with any other fish),small groupers(like a panther),large tangs or angels will usually be o.k.If you see something you like just do a google search on it to find feeding and habitate info
Stay away from any fish that we be a mouthful(food).Inverts are going to be a no no too.Most get added to the fishes menu.Saltwater fish that are agressive are messy eaters and easily polute the tank.Add the fish slowly and be prepared for a steady amount of water changes.Also I would recomed a good size protein skimmer to help with the extra nutrients.A sump would be good option to to keep the water at optimal quality.

Thanks for the advice, you said inverts are a no no. How about hermit crabs or starfish for algae eaters. And also how about an eel?

DJPJ001

I did not include the eel because you listed and lion for the first wo residents.Most ivert usually will get eaten by agressive fish so it may be possible but you may just buying expensice fish food by adding them

Back