List of EVERYTHING for a 75 gallon reef tank.

I think you will be better off using t5's over the 75 as well. They dont run as hot, arent as hard on the electricity bill, and they are little bit easier in terms of plug and play.

But, what is the cost comparison between the MH and T5's?

These look really cool (and pricey). I don't mind spending another $100 if it's going to be better in the long run.

Edit: What about these? Are they powerful enough? The bulbs are 10000k. What does that mean? They're blue?

Last edited:
For a 75, I personally would use T5s (I'm using T5s over my 90 now). But MH or T5 will both work great, and some people prefer one over the other for various reasons. There's no right or wrong answer for this one! :D

When you go to an LFS, take a look at a tank running MH and one running T5s. IMO, MH tanks always look nicer to me. I love the shimmering look to them.

Here is the updated version: It looks really cool having a goby and shrimp pair. Do you think I should get one of those?

75 gallon tank with overflow, cabinet stand, sump, and return pump - $400 + $50 shipping

RO/DI filter - $138

125 Pounds Key Largo Dry Rock - $272

75 pounds Sand - $75

Reef Octopus Extreme xs-160 - $299.99

Fish Acclimation Kit - $0.99

2X 150W Heater - $45

Algae Clip - $5

Current Nova T-5 Fixtures (48") - $359.99
3X Hydro Koralia Evolution Pumps 1050 - $54.99

Moderate cleaner crew - $50 or so

Coral rx (8oz.) - $17.99

Diamond Watchman Goby - $30

2X Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp (medium) - $40

Brittle Sea Star, Fancy - $15

Porcelain Crab - $20

Tail Spot Blenny - $25

Blue Tuxedo Urchin (medium) $15

Foxface Lo (small) - $35

3X Hawaiian Feather Duster - $30

Six Line Wrasse - 25

Derasa Clam, 2 to 3 inches - $50

Kole Tang (small) - $35

2X Tank-Bred Occelaris Clownfish (small) - $40

Bubble Tip Anemone (medium) - $25

Total: $2103.95 + $50 shipping

Thats a good question. I hope someone has an answer. I know the T-5's are supposed to be the most efficient. I have no experience with running MH, but those that do say they have a high light bill.

Back