Little bit concerned about my tank

Jmck

Reef enthusiast
Ok, so I got home tonight and its about 10:30, I thought I would turn on the lights and feed the tank.

I have a look, and now, my clowns, who never hide, are behind the rocks, my JP cardinal is swimming like crazy, my mandarin who is now swimming was just lying on the ground is now currently floating and swimming in open water near the top. Im very concerned.

my foxface is also quite white which I have never seen. Im really not sure what is going on. My salinity is slightly too high at 1.027 but nothing dangerous. All corals and inverts are good, temperature is normal, the only thing that has changed recently is a water change (they were acting funny before it which prompted me to do a change) and I had a turbo snail die which I pulled out. honestly am confused, temperature is also normal along with all water parameters,,,

I have NO idea what could be doing this?

Possibly, but 10 minutes past now and they are still going.

mandarins at the top, clowns are not eating

could it be some form of ich? or disease?

it looks like the mandarin has some white dots on him, and that the clown has some yellowish orange colored dots.

the anemone is doing great as well

Its hard to say Josh.
I know that when you turn the lights on when the fish are used to being in the dark,they'll do some wierd stuff.But in your case,I dont know.
I'd just watch em close for now and see what happens.The less stress the better.

yea, ill leave the lights on for a little bit, see if things calm down. is it normal as well for a mandarin to lose color when lights are out?

Did you do a salinity test before you changed the water? How much did the salinity change? Test the water. Post the results.

the salinity would have changed by 1.001 from 1.026 to 1.027, so not a big deal there, the
ammonia is at 0
nitrites 0
PH 8-8.2
nitrates - 5

Calcium and magnesium are normal tested them the other day before and after the water change.

ok, looking at my clown after lights out, the female is looking a bit cloudy. which definitely doesnt look normal, the male is looking fine with his colors.

yea, ill leave the lights on for a little bit, see if things calm down. is it normal as well for a mandarin to lose color when lights are out?

Mandrines wrap themselves in mucus when they rest after lights out.So that can make them look like they are loosing color.
But run the full gammet of tests including testing for stray voltage.

Thanks yote, will have to, havent got anything to test voltage. But i will first wait and see how things are tomorrow. Hoping that it was just shock of the lights which sent them funny. Things look at least partly normal now.

You probably pissed them off :) How would YOU feel if you were in deep sleep and someone turned on the lights and woke you up ;) LOL

I've done that to my fish a couple of times and they were PISSED. My foxfaces turns paler and paler as it gets closer to lights out,but is fine the next day. My chromis turn this dark shadow shade when they enter rest mode and my clown plays dead pretty much. I wouldn't worry.

Thanks wonton, im thinking you and yote are right in the end, nothing SHOULD be going wrong with my tank. sigh, I did get crazily worried, thinking i might have done something to crash the tank....

Got to stress sometimes lol

theyre likely just shocked from the lights... mine have done that. and as for the mandarin i literally cried myself to sleep when i first saw zappa sleeping because he was grey and brown with a liiitttle bit of pale blue in hit tail. i for sure he was a goner but i saw very very slight gill movement so i waited till morning when to my surprise he was back to completely normal and flashy.
also if its little white specs your seeing... on the mandarin sometimes when they expel something from a bite of food, pieces stick to the fins because of their mucus membrane looking like ich... it usually falls off eventually and never grows obviously hah

Yeah my mandarin(RIP) did that as well, it was very still one morning, had a light mist of white and the mucos(I didn't know about it at the time). He was fine once the lights came on for a bit. (He died for unrelated reasons a while after that)

biff, i dont think its voltage, its the next day and things look relatively normal. I think I just stressed too much seeing my tank like this!

thanks everyone :) sooooo glad ive got you all here for this

Back