Little Giant Pump?

michaelallff

Reefing newb
I have a 120 gallon tank I am setting up for a fish only tank and I was looking at return pumps. Eheim doesn’t have one that will fulfill the 10x rule especially since it will have to push up about 3 feet from sump to tank, Mag Drive pumps a little to loud from my understanding. Does anyone have any experience with Little Giant pumps, specifically model 4-MDQX-SC?

I dont know about Little Giant pumps.But I'm running a Mag Drive 12 on my 125.Its super quiet.Theres more noise coming from the water draining into the sump than from the return pump.

Is this going to be use externally?My guess,the answer is yes because you asked about the Little Giant MDQ pumps which can only be ran externally.I wonder if Biff and Yote is running the Mags in sump or out?The larger Mags 12 and up are loud when ran externally.For external pumps,the Little Giant and Panworld would be more quiet than a Magdrive.

If you want a super quiet external pump, check out the Velocity T-3 or T-4. If you have a standard 120 with dual overflows, don't expect to get 1200 gph out of it. I have dual 1" overflows and with head loss, my pump is pushing about 850 gph and I honestly don't think they could handle much more. I highly doubt I could push 1200 gph thru it and not flood the tank. I think the T-3 would work nice...and you would not hear it running.

Yes I am looking to run it externally.

I have never heard of the velocity series of pumps. I like how the website gives the decibel ratings of them. Nice. Thanks

Well currently my 120 gal is not drilled, I am looking to drill it with 1.5” duels.

Back