Little red bugs?

Smitty

Reef pro
Hey guys, while looking at my tank with a flaslight one night, I observed several little red bugs in my sand bed, much smaller than my pods...anyone know what they are?

Yote got you covered. There are lots of different types of flatworms...some are harmless, some not so harmless. If they are only on the sandbed and not on any corals, your probably safe but still try to vacumm them out if possible. They give off toxins when they die.

Thanks for the heads up...They are actually in the sandbed...under the substrate...can only see them beside the glass.

It'd still be a good idea to get em outta there now.Wait too long,and they can kill everything in your tank.

I was just doing some research on flatworms, and the things I have look nothing like them...I have very small red specks, like little dots, they look nothing like the pics of the flatworms.

There are "red bugs" that live on SPS corals, but I can't imagine that you'd have those in your sand bed. Are you sure they're alive?

Smitty,there is another kind of flatworm thats real small and red.Looks like just a tiny red speck.I cant think of what there called.
But most wrasses will wipe them out in about a day.

Smitty,there is another kind of flatworm thats real small and red.Looks like just a tiny red speck.I cant think of what there called.
But most wrasses will wipe them out in about a day.

He may not be able to get to them, I only see them deep inside the sand, along the glass...and which one should I get, I thought they were all kinda anal and aggressive...although I do like the six line.

I've never know of a yellow coris or the fairy wrasses to be aggressive.Either of those would be my choice.
Its hit or miss with six-line aggression.

There are "red bugs" that live on SPS corals, but I can't imagine that you'd have those in your sand bed. Are you sure they're alive?

Hey Biff, was just doing more research on the red bugs you're talking about, and it sounds like thats what I have in my tank...but, I don't have any sps's in my tank, for them to eat, will they start eating my lps's and softies.

They shouldn't. In fact, they shouldn't be able to survive in your tank without SPS... That would be weird if that's what you have!

Yep, I was just checking on saltwaterfish.com msg board, and someone on there have them, and described what I have...I only see them in the sandbed though...they are called red acro bugs.

Back