Little red eggs

bdejong

Reefing newb
I went to change my carbon bags and noticed what looks like little red fish eggs in them. I took one to the LFS, the guy looked at tit an told me it was waste from feeding brine shrimp. I asked him to look closer but he looked at me with what can only be termed as distain and reperated his analysis.

I went home and cut open the other one and look what I found.

What are these?

What I have in my tank so far is Live Rock, Two Colwns, 5 snails and two small hermit crabs. Should I be worried? The bag is full of them.

That was my first impression as well, they are very small and there are probably hundreds of thousands of them in the bag. I dont know what laid them but I need to find out.

Possibly something you are feeding and not getting eaten? Let us know if you figure it out. I honestly dont know .

I may have found the answer. I took some and looked at them under a microscope and it appears that they are some sort of bead additive in the carbon bag. They are very hard, tried to squish them but they felt like little plastic balls. Under the microscope they all appear to be of irregular shape and slightly different color. I am now thinking that it is some kind of "special" additive mixed in the bag to promote better something.

It was still wierd to see it all in there. It looks so much like little eggs, but nothing I could find about what is in my tanks could have produced so many of them.

Back