Little White "Circles" on LR

Brett

Reefing newb
Fish in my FOWLR seem to be doing just fine, but over last week I have noticed these small, white, flat "donut" shaped things on one piece of LR in particular and also some on the glass. Just wondering if anyone has seen similar and could provide some insight into what they might be. Don't appear to be moving ... they just appear.

Yeah, I tried to take pictures to document better, but couldn't zoom in to the level of detail necessary and make the photo clear enough to see what exactly I'm talking about. The "circles" are about a 16th of an inch in diameter, and really look more like a tightly curled letter "c" than a completely closed circle. They are barely raised above the surface of the live rock. As mentioned in first post, my fish don't seem to notice them and the "circles" don't seem to be adversely affecting the health of the fish. Just hoping that someone could ID them.

I think what you may be talking about are spirorbid worms. I have a ton of them on my live rock, snails, and glass, and yes, they look exactly like little white donuts. Go to Melev's Reef - Visual Identification and there's a picture of a black stomatella with these on its shell. If you click on the thumbnail, you will get a link to spirorbid worm description. According to the website, "Tiny white dots about the size of a pinhead can be found in reef tanks, overflow boxes , and sumps. They are Spirorbid Worms, which are filter feeders. It won't hurt to scrape them off if they obstuct your view, but they are harmless. Reef-safe."

Thanks Bifferwine! Those are the ones. And, also answered an unasked question about what the hell that thing was I saw squirming around under the moon light LED the other night - a stomatella. So, two birds with one stone. Well done and thanks for the help. Happy Thanksgiving.
Brett

Back