Little white snail/slugs?

laura-jean

friend to the fish
They are about the size of the fingernail on my pinky.

They look like slugs, they have mouthes and little antennae, but they appear to have a soft shell that almost looks like a fingernail.

Suddenly I just saw like five on my tank wall, and it's making me nervous...

I also have like three black ones, they are a little bigger.

Are these guys bad/good/doesn't matter??

Thanks for any help.

Those are stomatella snails. They are good -- great cleaners. I guarantee you have a lot more on your rocks that you haven't seen ;)

And hey! Welcome back! Where have you been?

OH THANK GOD
I WAS READY TO FREAK OUT

Howdy! I've been fantastic, just working like crazy.
I've upgraded to a 28 gal nano and other than my seemingly incurable algae-on-the-glass-problem, my tank is doing well. :)

I haven't had any issues with my tank so I didn't really need any answers that the LFS couldn't supply, but at 11:18 california time, the LFS is not open and I didn't want to wait around for the maybe-horrible-snail-problem to get worse.

Yup, they are good guys. At least yours are on the glass where you can see them. Also I know you are in H.B. but there is supposed to be an awesome LFS in Signal Hill if you don't already know about it.

I have tons of them. It means that I've only bought about 10 or 15 snails for my 125 gallon-- the stomatella in my tank reproduce fairly slowly, but quick enough to keep up with most of the algae on my tank. they don't get too big-- about the size of an astrea snail. Free CUC rocks! :D

I got ten snails and then a whole bunch of these guys have turned up. I had a couple black ones before I put the new snails in my tank but now I have white ones, too. The black ones I can see during the day but my white ones have mysteriously disappeared since turning the lights on. I'm glad they're good!

Oh that's kinda far. Huntington Beach/Fountain Valley is home to probably about 10 or more reef stores, so I know where to go where for what. My LFS that I get my fish/water from is a block down from my house and the other one where I get great deals on corals is about an equal distance.

I guess I'm in fish central!

Yup, they are good guys. At least yours are on the glass where you can see them. Also I know you are in H.B. but there is supposed to be an awesome LFS in Signal Hill if you don't already know about it.

I assume you are talking about Age of Aquariums, that's the one I always go to. A great store and worth taking a drive to check it out sometime. They also host a reef club meetings there once a month, also worth checking out.

www.ageofaquariums.biz

www.scrk.org

Back