Live/Base Rock Ratio

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
Ok I know the difference between live and base rock in general. But i dont really know the specifics. Does dead base rock provide the same filtration as live rock? Typically how long does it under the right condition(calcium content?) for the seeding process to start and actually turn you base in live?

Im planning in having 250-300 lbs of total rock in my tank. I was thinking 100lbs of live rock mostly to cover the face of my reef and the rest base rock. Does this sound like a reasonable amount. Im going to get the best available live rock that I can afford but I just am not going to be able to afford to buy the total weight live (at least I dont think). What are my options?

Thanks
Ryan

Calcium has nothing to do with base rock becoming live. Base rock becomes "live" when it is populated by beneficial bacteria...usually in a few weeks.
If you don't mind going thru a cycle, I recommend using MarcoRock (Marco Rocks The finest aquarium rock available, base rock, live rock, reef rock, marco rock, reef tank saltwater fish, live corals, Marco rocks, Fiji live rock, Tonga Live rock) base rock. It is live rock that got dried out and will cause a full cycle in the tank. The stuff looks awesome once cured. I helped my cousin setup his tank and we used it. We even found a dried up serpent star in it. If you want 300 lbs (is this for the 180?), you can get 200 lbs of marcorock and 100 lbs live rock.

I bought 50 lbs of austrailian spaghetti rock from Marco for @$80 shipped and it looks great! I'm using it for base rock and I'll supplement that with 30lbs of high quality LR. I was told that that would be sufficient to seed my dead rock within a reasonable amount of time. I think tho the more LR you put in the faster the seeding process will be. Thats how it was explained to me anyhow.

I bought 50 lbs of austrailian spaghetti rock from Marco for @$80 shipped and it looks great! I'm using it for base rock and I'll supplement that with 30lbs of high quality LR. I was told that that would be sufficient to seed my dead rock within a reasonable amount of time. I think tho the more LR you put in the faster the seeding process will be. Thats how it was explained to me anyhow.

Capt and Keaton got it covered pretty good.But if you cycle with the Marcorock,your basically just getting the bacteria.
I would go a head and cycle the Marco,then finish off with the last 100 to 150 pounds of Tampa bays live rock.

depends how much patience you have. I know for me I look at my rock every day in anticipation of more coralline and I have 100% live rock considered premium stuff. It took a good 2 months for any signs of coralline regrowth with the addition of Purple Up. Since you do have a budget and most likely won't get too much in terms of fish and corals in your tank for a while maybe your idea of base rock and live rock could work. I'd prob rather see you get more live rock than base rock though. Most base rock I have seen isn't that great looking in terms of shapes and such. Marco Rock however seems to be pretty nice.

Ryan,what you suggested will be fine.In theory-all you need is one piece of live rock.Of course,the more live rock the faster the dead rock will seed,the faster the cycle and the overall maturing of a system.

BTW,the Marco rocks are great and damn cheap too!

I would go with at least half base or more. LR is a large expenses for a new tank and IMO the money is better spent on quality equipment and lighting.

They key will be to keep stocking levels vary low for six month to a year. I also realize that with a new tank and a relatively new hobbyist this is like asking the sun not to shine but there will be a lot of benefits to this.

Six months to a year from now you will be hard pressed to point out which rock started out as base and which was LR from the get go. In fact if you decide the hobby is not for you all of it could then be sold off as LR.

The low stocking level will minimize the tanks growing pains and initial cost and difficulty maintaining water quality. Equipment changes and additions, aquascapeing changes and additions can also be made without fear of disrupting or harm caused to expensive and or delicate livestock. I guarantee you many of these things will happen during the tanks first six months to a year.

The tanks equipment and maintenance routine will be finalized in this time period but more importantly it will give you time to gain experience and come to a final decision on just what direction you want the tank to go in. I can also assure you that your mind will change about this a few time during your tanks first year.

Like I said this level of patience for a new hobbyist is a lot to ask and of course I did none of these things with my first few tanks but wish I had.

Last edited:
Ryan isn't that new. He has some nice freshwater planted tanks for a while. Even so, Damseluver I think you had some good advice. It is very hard though not to go out and spend furiously within those first couple months. I know I couldn't resist. Luckily I haven't changed my aquascaping too much and got pretty good equipment from the start.

Back