live fish market and cooler selction problem

jusababiboi

Reefing newb
Hi, i am trying to open up a live and fresh seafood market, but i came accross an issue with tank chillers. I don't know howmany and how powerful of a chiller and pump to get. The store will have roughly 5 small tanks which are around 70 gallons, 4 large tanks around 600 gallon total and one medium tank about 150 gallon tank. Total will be between 1100 and 1500 gallons. I need to keep the tanks between 38-42 degrees

I would consider using an A/C unit to keep the whole room cooler. Chillers will be a very expensive way to keep your tanks that cool.

I would consider using an A/C unit to keep the whole room cooler. Chillers will be a very expensive way to keep your tanks that cool.

Don't think he'll be able to cool the room that cold with A/C Sen! :bounce:
Maybe a walk-in commercial fridge, but not A/C!

Jusa I would contact Seafood suppliers, I'm sure they could lead you in the right direction.

Last edited:
would you want to walk into a store that is almost freezing in side.

The butchers around here keep the whole room at frigde temps. That way the meat can be right there on the shelf. Can get some of the best steaks about 2 miles away. You pay for it but they blow anything from the supermarket out of the water

Brian

ill be keeping live fish and shellfish like dungenous crabs, clams, geoduck, oysters and live shirmp. The strongest Chiller i can find is a 3hp , i dont know if i should buy two 1 hp or just get 2 hp chiller

you need to figure out how much of a temp drop it will be from the ambient temp with the amount of water volume the manufacturer should be able to tell you that and you will know what you are going to need

yea, and just think about the condensation thats gonna be on thoes tanks if the water is that cold and the air is warmer...

your seriously gonna need to either sit down and figure out what BTU load your gonna have, or call someone that does that kinda stuff for a living... cause now your off into the deep end...

The thing about chillers is that the heat that they remove from the water gets expelled back into the surrounding environment. Chillers create a lot of heat and will heat up the room that they are in. If you are going to use chillers, you will need to find a way to vent them to the exterior, or you will just have a sweltering room, which makes the chillers work even harder because that causes the water temps to rise.

Back