Live Rock Additions / Changes

dankolle

Reefing newb
So, I have realized that when I originally placed my live rock it was done in a sloppy manner. I moved a lot of it around and i need to actually fracture the larger pieces to make room for the new coral garden I want to start. I have two questions.

First, can I fracture some live rock quickly with minimal exposure to the air and not have any cycling problems?

Second, I am thinking about adding about 20 more pounds of "base" rock to increase the amount of rock I have without needing to cure it first. I have plenty of coraline and my live rock / live sand is able to keep the levels perfectly. I am more thinking about bolstering the bacteria over time and giving me more room to place rock vertically for coral placement.

Is this stuff legit? Base Rock for coral,reef,saltwater,live rock,dry rock - eBay (item 320573013924 end time Aug-15-10 14:08:27 PDT)

Base rock for your marine aquarium. Makes Live Rock! - eBay (item 220645838819 end time Aug-29-10 08:28:54 PDT)

I am very impatient and umpulsive so I am like ready to "buy it now" on so much stuff! I know I need to plan it out first that's why I'm trying to be patient...its so difficult for me!! (just like spelling)

1. Yes, you can take the existing LR out of your tank to break it. It can be out of the water for quite some time as long as it stays moist.

2. Yes, that base rock on ebay will work just fine as long as its dry base rock. It was was once live rock thats been dead for only a short period of time it can still cause your tank to spike due to the die off. I think you should be fine because those rocks look ghost white and dead.

Stack rock on the bottom of tank --NOT on the sand. Sand will dissolve. People have had catastrophic rock slides the broke glass and put a tsunami in their living room.

Back