live rock and copepods?

Carol

Reefing newb
I took my water to the pet store to have it tested. I thought I was screwing up everything, but my water came back perfect. Come to find out, my test strips were bad.
I put the live rock in my tank, after cleaning it. I looked last night with a flashlight, and can see small white things running all over the rocks. They kind of resemble a small shrimp almost, and are white to a clear in appearance. They are pretty small, so I can't get a very good look at them. This would be copepods?
Also on one of the rocks, besides the normal corraline algae, there are about 5 deep purple spots, (almost looks like the thickness of tar). Is that ok?

Dont use test strips they are bad use the tubes and drops kind and record them and the white things are either copepods or amphipods are they small? becuase amphipods and copepods are very like the same

did you touch the purple spot if you did and it like stings you a little but doent hurt it a type of algae that grow on coraline you can just scrap it off with a razor blade or something

And WELCOME!! :D

I looked at the pics of amphipods and that's exactly what they look like. Yes, they are very small.
I haven't touched the purple spots yet. I don't know if they sting or not, I guess I'll find out later today.
Thank you for the welcome.:)

I have dark purple sponge. Is it squishy?
There are a lot of different colors of coraline, not just the regular ol' lavender stuff.

Coraline should not hurt you when you touch. It is also hard and encrusting. If its stinging you, its not coraline, and if its squishy its not coraline. I have some very deep purple sponges that could be mistaken for squishy coraline.

Thanks for the help little Fish and Mandarin. I was reading more on sponges ( read alot already) but I look it up again as I run into things. Somehow I ended up once again looking at undesirable stowaways on live rocks, and ended up at the parasites section. I'm going clean house to get rid of the thought of an aquarist getting a parasite from the tank and that story..*shudders* If I watch animal planet and they do the stories on bed bugs, dust mites, etc..it does the same thing.
Y'all have a good day and thanks again.

LOL. I was ok. Just images they had of different parasites. When you go jumping link to link on the net you run into some graphic pictures and the parasites aren't all fish related.

Hopefully it's a good enough image. It looks black here, but in reality it is a deep purple as I said. If it would be a bacteria, wouldn't it be on my other rocks? This one is the only one showing this.

Attachments

• Photo0055.jpg
    Photo0055.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 671
Back