Live Rock and Coraline Algae

michelle

Reefing newb
Just wondering-my LR has a nice pink color...is this coraline algae, or would something else give it the color? I want to add some calcium and see if I can get some coraline growing, but I have learned that there needs to be some in the tank already for it to grow.
Any pointers?

Take some pictures and post them so we know for sure what you're talking about.

It's most likely coralline. As long as it's not slimy or textured, then it's probabloy coralline. Most live rock comes with at least some coralline on it, and it only takes a little bit to seed your whole tank.

You will need good lighting for optimal coralline growth too.

100_2169.jpg

100_2168.jpg

I don't know if I added these pictures right,but, these are pics of some of the live rock in my tank. Just wondering if the color is coraline algae.
Thanks

Looks to me like theres some coralline on it.
It may take a while before it actually starts to spread though.
Just make sure to keep your calcium between 400 and 500PPM.Alkalinity between 9 and 14 DKH. It'd also be a good idea to test your magnesium.It should be about 1280 to 1380PPM.
I've found that if you keep those 3 parameters in check,coralline will grow.

Yes,do what Yote said.Its definitely coralline on the rocks that you posted.Coralline are slow growers compared to other algae.It will take a few months before it really takes off.

unless you are me and you get significant growth in about 6 weeks. Here is a pointer. If you want coralline to really take off, don't add many corals to begin with. Leave your tank lean on corals but add your fish. After about 4 months your coralline will look amazing since there isn't any competition for Calcium or DKh

-Doc

it could very well be. I still like the idea of lightly stocking her corals to allow coralline to take its hold on the tank

-Doc

Thabks everyone, I will test the 3 parameters and see where I stand. I dont have any corals yet besides one tube anemone I am "babysitting" for the next 6-8 months for a friend being deployed overseas, so there really isnt any drain on the calcium in the water.
I will let you know:)
Thanks again

Oh BTW, what is "cultured" live rock? Is it not the real thing? I dont know much about the different types. The store I deal with just sells "live rock-13.99 a lb" no real chioce in types...thanks:)

Wait a minute, you're keeping an anemone in your FOWLR tank with your current lighting? I'm sorry to say, but it's not going to survive, anemones have higher lighting requirements than corals, and need around 8 watts per gallon to survive.

Last edited:
oh maybe i'm wrong...maybe a tube worm? does that make more sense? I had originally said the same thing, but my friend said (and the lfs later confirmed when I asked) that this isn't a "true" anemone and requires "low light" and low-moderate water flow.
My friend has had only it in a low light tank for at least the last 4 months. My husband and I were posted to the same military base as him at that time and since I have been here it has been there.
It just made the move into my tank yesterday. I will post a pic...

Oh okay, that's a tube anemone. Sorry, I mis-read your first post. You're right, it should be okay in low light. But, they still are really bad about catching fish. So watch out if you have any small fish in your tank. Be sure to feed it a couple times a week.

I did ask about my fish...all the LFs said is that it won't be a host for the clown, but they could co-exist. would you agree with that?

I was told that it was a "filter feeder" and would just eat whatever I feed my fish...should it have something else? and HOW would I feed him? I guess you have to place the food close to or on his tenticles?

Tube anemones are non-photosynthetic so you're good on the lighting.Where is its tube?You have the wrong substrate for it to form a proper tube.Turn off the pumps and sqirt some mysis,krill or other small meaty foods using a turkey baster.I do think it possible it can catch small fish,even clowns.They are pretty though.

I plan to change my substrate over to argonite sand this weekend maybe. I have been having trouble finding time to do such a task with my little boy running around. The tube is buried in the gravel, but I have been wondering if it is a proper "tube" or if it is just the worm...can't seem to find a picture of what the tube vs. the worm looks like.
oh, just looking at your pictures reeffreak. Wow, really nice!

Back