Live Rock and Dry Rock

squid

Reefing newb
I just put the water in my aquarium yesterday and added 34lbs of live rock in the tank. Being that live rock is pricey I was told to use dry rock to cover the and scape the tank as much as possible.

I need some help. Do I buy more Live or go with Dry rock.

here is a pic of my tank as of now, it kinda sad.

65 gallon

2011-08-15074203.jpg

You can buy some base rock, and then cover it up with Live.

Advantages and disadvantages of (cured) Live Rock:

Less waiting time
Interesting Life forms
Coralline algae :bounce:
Pests (carnivorous crabs in my case; very hard to catch):spider:
Less chance of algae outbreaks
Costs more $$$
(mostly) Collected from the wild :-|
heavier in lbs

Advantages and Disadvantages of Base Rock:
More waiting time (up to several months)
No life forms
no pests to worry about :whoopee!:
More algae outbreaks
Costs less $$$
More friendly to environment :D
Lighter

I used all (cured) Live Rock, and I was able to introduce my inverts in about a week, though I blasted a hole through my budget.

It all depends on your willingness to wait to add live stock.

I heard that when you cycle your tank for the first time and then add rocks later you could break out the tank. So I was wondering about dry rock at the moment.

If you buy base and uncured rock, then you will have to cure and cycle your tank (this can take a long time, and the curing part might smell like :pooh:.) However, if you buy fully cured, or premium rock, then you don't have to add an ammonia source. The fully cured rock will go through a mini cycle, which takes about a week. :sfish: If you are considering dry rock at the moment and are willing to wait, go right ahead. It will save you $$$.

I don't know what you mean by breaking out the tank.

If you buy base and uncured rock, then you will have to cure and cycle your tank (this can take a long time, and the curing part might smell like :pooh:.) However, if you buy fully cured, or premium rock, then you don't have to add an ammonia source. The fully cured rock will go through a mini cycle, which takes about a week. :sfish: If you are considering dry rock at the moment and are willing to wait, go right ahead. It will save you $$$.

I don't know what you mean by breaking out the tank.

when I bought my rocks, they were live, now what type I dont really know, I am learning as I go. I know so far that dry rock is plain :pooh: rock and has nothing, its just a plain rock with no bacteria or organism on them, pure dead. As I already have 34 pounds I was wondering about having the bacteria inhabit the dry rocks and start growth there even with a dead core.

What I mean with breakign out. having the tank unbalance and have all the bad stuff take over my tank.

If you have the money to spend on live rock great by all means do it. If you don't base rock is fine too. You will want to stock more slowly as your bacteria segment wont be the same as if you used 100% live rock. But either way will be effective in relatively quick fashion. You should be looking at 1-2lbs per gallon of rock in your system.

If you have the money to spend on live rock great by all means do it. If you don't base rock is fine too. You will want to stock more slowly as your bacteria segment wont be the same as if you used 100% live rock. But either way will be effective in relatively quick fashion. You should be looking at 1-2lbs per gallon of rock in your system.

right now I have 34 lbs of LR. here where I live its 5.99/lb and dry rock is 1.99/lbs. I was looking to get at least a couple of live and dry just to cover the aquarium while it is on its first cycle.

Is the Live rock cured?

For your first tank, I would highly recommend not buying uncured rock, because you will have to put up with the smell that is rotting flesh. Also you have to siphon out dead and decaying organisms from your curing vat. If you don't mind the smell, then buy uncured. If you dislike the smell and hassle, buy base rock and dress it with premium.

Is the Live rock cured?

For your first tank, I would highly recommend not buying uncured rock, because you will have to put up with the smell that is rotting flesh. Also you have to siphon out dead and decaying organisms from your curing vat. If you don't mind the smell, then buy uncured. If you dislike the smell and hassle, buy base rock and dress it with premium.

What is "CURED" rock and "BASE" rock. All I know, the roc I got was from this tank of water at the fish store.

Cured Rock is when all the smell and toxins have been removed from the rock. Cured Rock smells like the ocean, and not like poop.

If you order "cured" rock form online, beware that it may go through a die-off period during shipping, so you may get "uncured" rock when it actually reaches your door.

Cured Rock is when all the smell and toxins have been removed from the rock. Cured Rock smells like the ocean, and not like poop.

If you order "cured" rock form online, beware that it may go through a die-off period during shipping, so you may get "uncured" rock when it actually reaches your door.

Mine at the moment is cured then, but does not smell like total :pooh:, just smells like marine.

Glad I came to this thread.. I had questions about live and dry rock and now they've been answered. We're going with all live rock.. should we get live sand too? I hear it speeds up the cycling, but some say don't get it because its more expensive. I think we're gonna go all live.

Is it okay to get live sand from petsmart or petco?

What are some good live sand brands? Thanks.

Last edited:
Glad I came to this thread.. I had questions about live and dry rock and now they've been answered. We're going with all live rock.. should we get live sand too? I hear it speeds up the cycling, but some say don't get it because its more expensive. I think we're gonna go all live.

I say go live all the way I did in both of my tanks and my cycles were about 2 weeks.

Thanks I think that's what we'll do. I actually found a better deal on different live rock. What's a good amount of live rock for a 30 gallon tank?

Last edited:
Thanks I think that's what we'll do. I actually found a better deal on different live rock. What's a good amount of live rock for a 30 gallon tank?

I heard so many stories and recommedations that I really dont know, I have heard 1lbs ; 1.5lbs and upto 1.75 per gallon.

1lbs=30 lbs
1.5lbs= 40lbs
1.75lbs= 52.5lbs

I mean its up to you really but tese are just recommendations I have heard and read about.

Right now I have 62lbs and my tank still looks empty.I am going to put at least 25 more lbs and I should be good at ~80-85lbs.

anywhere from 1 to 2 pounds is good for the tank.. The liverock will be your means of biological filtration in the tank so skimping isnt a great idea.. for a 30 I would try to get in about 45 pounds..

anywhere from 1 to 2 pounds is good for the tank.. The liverock will be your means of biological filtration in the tank so skimping isnt a great idea.. for a 30 I would try to get in about 45 pounds..

Yup, I still need about 35lbs more to go, but rock is so expensive here.

Back