live rock changing colors

hdduramax08

Reefing newb
I just started my first saltwater tank and my rock has turned yellow to orange and now its hairy and red anyone have any ideas what this is ? Should I worry and if so how do I get rid of this ?

Attachments

• HPIM0548.JPG
    HPIM0548.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 570
  • HPIM0550.JPG
    HPIM0550.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 495
  • HPIM0551.JPG
    HPIM0551.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 462
  • HPIM0552.JPG
    HPIM0552.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 473
  • HPIM0553.JPG
    HPIM0553.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 510
i'm blind... anyone see better than me? brown makes me think diatoms.... red and hairy makes me think cyano...

what kind of water are you using in this tank? what kind of lighting, and how are things testing?

Looks like both diatoms and cyano to me, which are types of algae. Using tap water will make your algae much worse, so if you are not already, you should be using RODI (reverse osmosis de-ionized) water, not tap water.

In a new tank, you are going to get cyano and diatoms no matter what. As your tank matures, the algae outbreaks will become less frequent and less dramatic.

In the meantime, it will help for you to have a good cleaner crew, make sure you have enough flow (cyano will usually have a harder time establishing itself in areas of high flow), and you can cut down your photoperiod.

i'm blind... anyone see better than me? brown makes me think diatoms.... red and hairy makes me think cyano...

what kind of water are you using in this tank? what kind of lighting, and how are things testing?

thanks

When started was using a 60 - 40 mix of di and tap my mistake now I'm using straight di water, lighting is a coralife, aqualight w/ 2 - 65 watt actinic and 2 - 65 watt 50/50 in it.

algae problems will get worse... much worse, before they get better! I'm in the middle of an epic battle with algae and as soon as one kind goes away another comes up. It has gotten slightly better but not much, untill your tank matures you will have some algae issues, you just have to be patient.

Back