Live Rock Critter

Piggy

Reef enthusiast
My sisters tank has some critters in her live rock. They kind of look like centipedes. They hide in the holes. What are they and do we need to get rid of them if so how? Plus she has a breakout of green algea which I never had as bad. Is it ok to add some snails to take care of it?

it sounds like pods..good food for some fish...some snails eat algae..check your water phosphates..lower the bettter...reduce feeding times..use frozen food instead of flakes..

Sounds more like bristleworms.....most are reef safe.They make good scavengers.For me,as long as they are small,there ok.If they are large(6''+) then I try to remove them.Personally the large ones are ugly.A couple Mexican Turbo Snails should take care of the hair algae.

bristleworms are good, water circulation helps with algae problems, but bad ro water can cause algae outbreak, phosphates from bad ro water, and to much light. I got my own ro/di unit and backed my light down on time so i could help fight algae and then got a phosphate reactor and also better flow helps keep water movement going so you don't end up with dead spots for food and detritus to build up and raise nitrates.

Got a 1200 powerhead going. Lights are on 12 hours. Put in a few snails so they started eating the algea. I told her to keep the lights off longer until it gets under control. Not feeding at all.
From what I've been reading them worms sting is that right? I'll have her watch tonight to see how many she has.

they either poke you or they sting but you can also get a uv for the algea problem . Aquatraders has good uvs plus uvs kill parasites i have one on my ten gal qt

Sounds like bristles to me too.
The only bristle that I know of the stings is the fire bristle worm,There a bright red color.The dull colored ones will just poke you.Feels like fiberglass in your fingers.

More like a prick than a sting(that doesn't sound right)
You get the idea right.Sounds like your taking the necessary steps.Try not to overfeed,thats just going to help the algae and even help over populate the worms.If the worms become over-populated try a six-line wrasse.they may eat the smaller ones.

As soon as she gets her computer up and running I will. I've been waiting for pics of them. She sent them over the phone but really couldn't tell what it was. She says she's going to see how many she sees tonight. I keep telling her about how helpful you all are.

Bristleworms are definitely a good thing to have in your tank. Very few of them are dangerous or bad. They are gross looking but will do wonders at scavenging the junk off the bottom and rocks.

LOL.Bristle worms dont really hurt,they itch.Its kinda like after you been working with fiberglass all day and have the little fibers stuck in your fingers.

Back