Live Rock Glue?

AmberSunrise

Reef enthusiast
I want to secure my rocks and I read that super glue is good so I stopped at the store but all the had was Gorrilla glue which sounds like it would work great. I did do some reading when I got home and it says that it is non toxic once cured so my question is this:

Should I remove all my rocks and assemble them outside then put them back in as once piece when they are dry?

I didnt want to remove all 6 pieces if I dont have to and was hoping to leave the bottom level in and then build the levels back up one at a time but I wasnt sure if I could do this.

I dont have any fish yet just a few snails and crabs so I wanted to do this now before adding anything else.

I would not glue your rocks together. When you add things to your tank, you will need to move them around, things will fall behind rocks, and you'll have to move them around to get to them, when you clean things, you'll have to move them a bit, when you place corals, they will need to be moved. I think if you glue them all in place, you will regret it in no time.

I would pull them out of the tank one at a time. Pat dry the area where you want to apply the glue. Apply glue, let it sit for about 15 secs, and then put it in the tank where you want. Just hold it in place for about a minute while it cures.

I would not glue your rocks together. When you add things to your tank, you will need to move them around, things will fall behind rocks, and you'll have to move them around to get to them, when you clean things, you'll have to move them a bit, when you place corals, they will need to be moved. I think if you glue them all in place, you will regret it in no time.

The way my tank is set up is the reef in the middle with a lot of sand bed all around it. I have about 6 inches all the way around so no issues getting things in the back.

I do have interest in burrowing creatures so I worry about the stability of my top rocks.

You can use super glue gel...it works underwater also, so you won't have to remove the rocks. Like Biff mentioned, I wouldn't glue all the rocks together tho.

Ok well that was a total disaster. The glue didnt work AT ALL and now I have glue all over my hands, floating all over the tank. UGH

I took all the rocks out assembled them and glued waited about 20 minutes and the glue never cured. I went ahead and put it all back in the tank for fear of my rocks being out so long and now its just a mess.

Lesson learned Gorilla glue does not work.

I think gorrilla glue takes hours to fully cure.

Also, from my understanding, it is waterrpoof as long as it isnt submerged.

Dont worry though, you arent the only one on this site to get gorilla glue all over their hands... Right Biff:mrgreen:

With your being out of the water for that long you might have a mini cycle, so just keep an eye on things

And with the glue - pics or it didnt happen! :)

Back