live rock hitchhiker...Not sure what it is

fasteddie

Reefing newb
I bought a piece of "christmas tree" rock that has the little "paired" feather dusters all over it, but I have noticed 2 other critters that I am not sure what they are. I've had the rock in quarantine for about 5 days now and want to introduce it to my tank but cant until I figure out what these guys are. So far I've seen 2 of them and they look black and white banded legs coming partially out of the hole. kinda like 3 octopus legs with spikes or hairs on them. They dont look harmful, they just lay there and almost look dead the way the ends of the legs float around in the current. I've looked all over chucksaddiction and did a search here but haven't come up with anything yet. Any ideas what it could be?

+2 for the cleanup crew. Every little bit helps. Also, can you get a pic? Then we can tell for sure.

Ok cool, I will see if I can get a pic and post it. I put a tiny bit of frozen shrimp in with the rock and within seconds every little crack, crevis, and orofic seemed to have life coming out of it. about a dozen bristle worms, and the 2 serpent stars. I still am not sure about the bristle worms tho, they are about 1" long, 3/4 of it is purple, the head (presumably) is pink or reddish pink and is covered with white bristles.

Just dont reach in and grab a bristle worm.Feels like fiberglass stuck in your fingers.Not to mention,they make great additions to your clean up crew.

Just dont reach in and grab a bristle worm.Feels like fiberglass stuck in your fingers.Not to mention,they make great additions to your clean up crew.

Lol, thats what I heard. I sucked one up with a turkey baster, seems to be a good way to pick them up.:D

Back