Live rock instead of bio Balls???

Swifty

Old and Tired
Anybody heard of replacing bio balls with live rock in the sump?? Anybody running a system like that? Sounds like a good idea.

I don't know of many people that run bioballs anymore. I'm a newbie, and I was told to run sand, rock and cheato in my sump. Hope this helps

I hear that alot also. Get rid of bio balls and get the live rock. Biff had a good explanation as too why bio balls dont do the same as live rock. I think it had something to do with the nitrate and nitrite. If i can find it ill post it.

I'm actually doing that exact thing tonight. Its definitely a good way to go and it also means you have a fuge If you don't already have one instead of crappy bio balls. I have put it off for over a year but I'm doing it tonight.

bio balls are great for FOWLR tanks but can cause nitrate problems in a reef tank. i just use live rock i have about 100 pounds in my sump.

Skip the bioballs and use live rock rubble instead.

Bioballs do tend to lead to nitrate problems over time. If you want a detailed explanation, I'd be happy to go into it!

My research I've been doing today says to use rubble, 1"-3" cured. Any more input would be appreciated. Any trouble with detritus collecting in the sump? Thanks all for responding.

Back