Live Rock VS. Dry Rock

Tetra1

Reefing newb
I am considering adding Dry Rock this time around for the 29 Gallon Biocube, as I had a horrible time with my last tank with Live Rock. I had so many pests even after wiping the majority of them out. I was wondering what your thoughts are on this, and if I did the Live Rock again, what can I do to ensure this does not happen to me again, it was quite the headache. I had to basically trash everything in my last tank, and start over because of this problem. I think I could do half live and half dry, but am very nervous about the outcome. Also, how much rock do you all think I should add to this tank, I want it to be very showy. All two cents are appreciated.

:twocents: :frustrat: :question:

I would go with dry rock and use one piece of live rock to seed it. That is what I did when I set up my last two tanks. For my 180g I used about 85% dry and then one very large live rock and now you can tell the difference between the two and my tank is pest free. The rule of thumb is between 1 to 2 pounds of rock per gallon, so about 1 1/2 would be good. I got my dry rock from Marcorocks.com, but Bulk Reef Supply and a few others also have very nice dry rock at very reasonable prices. Cost is another good reason to go with dry over live.

Back