Live Rock

stagofdoom

Phi Kappa Psi
Hey guys,

So due to some unplanned things I have had to pay for I will be scrapping the idea of getting my live rock and sand from Tampa Bay Saltwater. I really wish I didn't have to do that, but right now my budget cant afford it and I really want to get the tank going.

I was sick this past weekend so I was stuck not moving much and didn't work on the tank. All I have to do is organize and hook up the APEX and plug it in and put water in it. So IT WILL FINALLY BE WET this weekend.

My question is where should I get all of my live rock and sand. I want something good, but something that wont break the bank too bad.

Thanks

Ben

Sorry to hear about the bad lock.

I picked up some of mine online but most of it I went around to the LFS and found what I liked. I still have some that I wish I didn't but the tank has been set up for a while now and I really don't want to start moving all the rocks around yet again. Good luck and post some pictures of the rock once you get some.

You'll save on the shipping if you buy local but you won't find anything close in price or close in quality. His rock prices are actually really good. Get the package and it's a fantastic deal. What about getting some of the rock now and ordering more later if you really need it? Everyone is going light on the rock these days anyway.

You'll save on the shipping if you buy local but you won't find anything close in price or close in quality. His rock prices are actually really good. Get the package and it's a fantastic deal. What about getting some of the rock now and ordering more later if you really need it? Everyone is going light on the rock these days anyway.

Im trying to find a way to still get his stuff, but its not looking so good right now. Ive heard amazing things about it .

Ya what I'm saying is it's going to be hard to find good live rock for cheaper.
You could find a craigslist tank, but you have no clue what's lurking in that rock.

So I'm not sure what to tell you other than wait till the funds are available or place a smaller order to get you started. You could even mix some of his sand with some plain old store bought stuff.

Why not use dry rock and dry sand? Just get 1 piece of LR to seed the tank? Yeah, it takes a bit longer but it sure saves a LOT of money.

I have rock from Vanuatu and Fiji in my tank. It was uber expensive but really nice. To fill gaps, and the sump, I used store bought dry rock.

Hey all,

I'm new to the hobby. In fact, I've never had a tank but I've been researching everything for the past 6 years. I just haven't been settled in a house or anything long enough to feel comfortable investing in a tank so to keep my cravings down I just keep researching.

Recently my in-laws were picking my brain about getting a tank and I almost had them convinced until some store clerk trying to make a quick buck scared them out of it with the start up costs of live rock.

I've been reading a lot about the great benefits of dry rock due to it being more cost effective and reduces the possibility of introducing pests into your tank, not to mention you can purchase reef saver rock that is not sourced from living reefs.

The guy at the aquarium store was selling I think probably Fiji for 7 to 9 bucks a pound which as I understand is pretty standard but what gets me is he tells them that they will not be able to successfully keep corals with dry rock and would only be good for a fish only system. He was saying dry rock will take years to become live rock.

Now from everything I've been reading I don't see any validity to that claim. If anything, things may take a little longer with dry rock but I don't see any reason why starting a system with dry rock would not allow you to successfully keep corals. Am I totally wrong or was this guy just trying to make a quick grand off of them since they were looking to start a 120 gallon tank?

Thanks for any clarification anyone could offer.

--David

Hey all,

I'm new to the hobby. In fact, I've never had a tank but I've been researching everything for the past 6 years. I just haven't been settled in a house or anything long enough to feel comfortable investing in a tank so to keep my cravings down I just keep researching.

Recently my in-laws were picking my brain about getting a tank and I almost had them convinced until some store clerk trying to make a quick buck scared them out of it with the start up costs of live rock.

I've been reading a lot about the great benefits of dry rock due to it being more cost effective and reduces the possibility of introducing pests into your tank, not to mention you can purchase reef saver rock that is not sourced from living reefs.

The guy at the aquarium store was selling I think probably Fiji for 7 to 9 bucks a pound which as I understand is pretty standard but what gets me is he tells them that they will not be able to successfully keep corals with dry rock and would only be good for a fish only system. He was saying dry rock will take years to become live rock.

Now from everything I've been reading I don't see any validity to that claim. If anything, things may take a little longer with dry rock but I don't see any reason why starting a system with dry rock would not allow you to successfully keep corals. Am I totally wrong or was this guy just trying to make a quick grand off of them since they were looking to start a 120 gallon tank?

Thanks for any clarification anyone could offer.

--David
This is my current tank it is about 80% base or dry rock and maybe 12 pounds of live rock. There is absolutely no truth in what the sales person was saying to you. I would not return to that store.
null_zps69599325.jpg

He was saying dry rock will take years to become live rock.

That guy might have a different understanding of what live rock is.
In terms of colonization by beneficial bacteria that will act as biological filter, this process could take days or weeks depending on how the "cycle" was done.

It may take years for a piece of dry rock to be naturally colonized on the surface by sessile invertebrates, macroalgae, etc but the rock would have been "live" long before that occurs.

Back