live rocks still alive?

Matthew almost got it right about the cycle. Ammonia turns into nitrite which turns into nitrate.

And yeah. $15 a lb. No way. You'd better have gotten some awesome hitch hikers on that rock for that price!

I'll check that link for some rock. How does the internet businesses ship live rock without it dying? It probably takes a few days in rugged conditions to arrive. how do they package something like that so that it will survive ok?

Yikes. That's more than I can pay for. I checked out that link and it's like 111 dollars for 30 pounds. I don't have $111 to spend. I was lucky I could afford the $15 I just put out. :(

Shoot,You will blow at least 4 or 5 dollars a day on something and never know it.
Just before you buy that coke and candy bar,think "Had I rather have this crap,or would I rather hold onto this few bucks and put it toward stuff for my tank."

Thats how I got 90% of my stuff.

Well that and holding 10 bucks a week out of my check.The hard part was not letting the wife know I had money hid back.

As for shipping LR. You never put shipped rock in your main tank.Its going to have some die off.
But most places will wrap the rock in wet newspapers,then put in a plastic bag.Then all that will go into a styrofoam box for shipping.

Its not worth it to you or the vendor to ship a few pounds of rock.Save your money if you want to order online.You do get better prices usually but you don't get to see what you're getting.Liveaquaria premium Fiji is $120 for 45-50lbs + shipping.Total price about $160 after shipping.Even with shipping its only a little over $3 a pound which is much,much cheaper than the $6.99 and up it cost here.Online and at the LFS has its pros and cons,so decide wisely.

If you set aside a few dollars a paycheck you'll have enough saved in no time. That's what I do when I want something.

That would be useful for refugiums.
I think that if you used that for your LR that your tank would probably look more like a mud hole than a reef.BTJMO.

I've never seen the rubble in person so I wasn't sure what it was. Ah well. i guess I'll just pick up a live rock here and there once in awhile.

Back