Live Sand: Recycle It or Toss It?

Grouper954

Reefer Addict
I recently bought a package deal and it came with live sand. The sand has been removed from water for 2 days now but is still very, very moist. I just cleaned the tank and I'm getting ready to fill w/ saltwater. Should I reuse the live sand (along with my live rock) or throw some new sand in there? Any help is appreciated :mrgreen:

You can. Just rinse it really really well.

Would it be better for the tank to start w/ new sand?

I'm still in the process of acquiring all my equipment, so it would be no biggie to wait for the bacteria (if it's better for the overall livelihood of the system)

Just rinse the sand you have really well and place it in the tank after your rock. It will be fine, no better, no worse than starting over.

Ok thanks guys, I'll reuse it and save some money.

How would you recommend rinsing sand? Sorry I'm just new to the hobby and I don't know if there's some tips or tricks.

You'll probably have to to do it in batches. Get a bucket, fill it with sand and just run a garden hose in the bucket until the water comes out clear.

Rinse it with tank water. You can rinse with tap water BUT make sure you then apply de-chlorinator or wait a few days for the chlorine to evaporate. Also do NOT rinse it with a hose the has copper fillings! The sand will be ruined.

Rinse it with tank water. You can rinse with tap water BUT make sure you then apply de-chlorinator or wait a few days for the chlorine to evaporate. Also do NOT rinse it with a hose the has copper fillings! The sand will be ruined.

Tank water wasn't an option, so I rinsed it with tap!

I don't have de-chlorinator but the sand is laying out in the sun, spread out, drying.

EDIT: My hose uses brass fittings, I'm good.

Wait.....I'm supposed to place my live rock directly on the glass? That makes me nervous.....

That's so that critters/burrowing fish don't disturb the sand underneath the rocks and make your rocks fall. If you have no sand underneath the rocks that won't happen. You just have to be extra careful while you're setting up that they don't fall down onto the glass.

Back