liverock scares me.

Alexander

Reef enthusiast
I keep thinking about picking up some more liverock for my tank, but every time i think about going i back out because i get scared that i may possibly get a mantis shrimp in the rock so i back out.

I know its a total wuss thing to do, but i never want to accidentily get one.

it would be bad because they are preditors. they should be kept in a species only tank. there are horror sories once in a while of them killing off fish one by one, they are not fun to catch either. (unless your yote) he has fun hunting anything :)

I thought this was going to be about bristleworms and such! I pulled the first two out of my skimmer yesterday thinking they were clumps of hair algae. When I saw what was in my hand I jumped like a little girl! Man card is officially pulled!

Red just get some locally and give it a seltzer water dip? Would work IMO

haha dude no worries i have had moments like that handling things in my tank too. moments that probably sound like a scared little woman saw a mouse in her house. eh oh well. it gets the best of us sometimes. i have yet to have a bristleworm in my skimmer though. hundreds in my tank

If there had been a chair I would have been on it! I havent decided if it was because I didnt expect it or I have heard of people getting stung by their worms either way Im glad I was alone,haha!

I don't know if it's an option where you are located, but we got locally aquacultured live rock so we were pretty aware of what could be in it based on what the guy had in his systems.

Be a man and go for it Red.A little mantis wont hurt nothing(untill he grows up).:mrgreen:
A good way to check for a mantis,is to take a thawed silverside and wave it around any holes thats in the rock.If there is a mantis in there,9 times out of 10,he's going to come after the silverside.
Ryan,You've been in insulation before,Thats what a bristle worm feels like.Now fireworms on the other hand,now they hurt.

yeah I'm going to do it. I just wanted to let everyone know I was a wuss first :)

I have had such good luck with my tanks lately I just don't wanna jinx it. but I do want more liverock!

Just quaratine your new rock for a few days and check it every night with a red lensed flashlight. They usually wander around nearly all night playing king of the reef.

Back