livestock for a first timer

shane715

Reefing newb
This is by no means my first aquarium but it is my first marine tank and this is the live stock list i have come up with. any input or suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated. It is for a 55g FOWLR
Dawrf flame angel
Bicolor dottyback
2 ocellaris clowns
2 pajama cardinals
2 lemon chromis (will be put in first to help cycle?)
Blue spotted or saddle puffer
and maybe a couple other smaller fish or a yellow tang down the road

You will be overstocked. The rule of thumb for saltwater is 1 fish per 10 gallons, give or take a fish. I think the fish you have chosen are compatible with each other, you just need to shorten the list a bit. And a 55 is too small for a yellow tang. I would skip the cardinals (they aren't colorful and don't do much -- they are kind of like boring robot fish) and the puffer (it will make it impossible to have a clean up crew). If you have the angel, dottyback, pair of clowns and two chromis, that would be a good list.

Also, never cycle with live fish. Wait until the cycle is complete before adding any fish. You should cycle using live rock, some fish food or a piece of raw shrimp from the grocery store. Ammonia will spike first, then nitrites, then as those two go down, nitrates will rise. Don't add any fish until ammonia and nitrites are both at zero.

good to know I've been fighting the decision of puffer vs coral and I think my daughter would love some coral, starfish and shirmp

The puffer probably won't touch the coral. Just the inverts. The flame angel may nibble on corals though. Those guys are 50/50 when it comes to being reef safe.

Puffers in my expereince can and will eat coral, I tried one briefly for my wife, and it went through about a hundred zoas in about 48 hours, clams as well

Back