Livestock Planning

andysgirl8800

Blenny Badlands
So, I am attempting to plan my livestock wish list while waiting for my tank to cycle. I think I've narrowed it down pretty well and was really hoping for a little feedback, particularly in terms of an appropriate number of animals, species compatibility, and which order to add the fish.

Here is my current layout:

First into the tank, the clean-up crew. I am especially unsure of the quantity of each of these animals....

Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp ( I was thinking 3 of these)
Blue Legged Hermit Crabs (I was thinking of 8 of these)
Nassarius Snails (the little ones, 10 of these??)
Blue Tuxedo Pincushion Urchin (2)

After my janitors have had a little "alone" time in the tank, I am planning to add the following fish in the following order:

Green Reef Chromis (3)
Bicolor Pseudochromis (1)
Longfin Bannerfish (1)
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (3, 2 males, 1 female)
True Percula Clownfish (2)
Yellow Hawaiian Tang (1)
Regal Blue Tang (1)
Black Cap Basslet (1)

I don't plan to add any corals, clams, anemonies, or anything else for the first year or so, and all of the above livestock will be added gradually. I researched the compatibility between all of these species, and they all seem like they **should** get along alright. Does anyone see any issue with this community? Is this too many animals for a 125 tank? Is this the best order in which to introduce them into the community? Thanks to everyone for your feedback.

Last edited:
not too bad... i'd put a ton more of the nassarius snails, like 50, a good dozen Astraea Snails, and a few more (like a dozen) hermits. Should be fine with one urchin, they can do a good job of demolishing quite a bit.

i love a good CUC :P

I also think your fish list is fine, but I agree with Nathan that you'll need a ton more cleaners. You'll probably need several dozen snails. I'd also add a few emerald crabs and a few peppermint shrimp, as well as a pair of serpent or brittle stars.

I'm getting mixed feedback regarding starfish....and will I have any additional conflict between emerald crabs and the hermits? As for the pepermint shrimp, I'm worried about the Bicolor Pseudochromis eating them.....

If you stick with a brittle or serpent star, you'll be fine. Just avoid the ones that are green in color. They are an invaluable member of your cleaner crew. Stay away from sandsifting stars. And most of the other common stars are not reef safe. But brittle and serpents are excellent.

No conflicts between the crabs. I doubt that the pseudochromis would eat the peppermint shrimp, they are usually invert safe.

Also, I was reading about the 1 fish/3 weeks standard practice. I was told the two tangs should be added at the same time. Would this be too much of a bioload??

Thanks Dustin. They would be the second to last fish added. How many peppermint shrimp should I consider for my population? Should I put any cleaner crew into my refugium?

You don't need any cleaner crew in your fuge. They'll usually just end up escaping into other compartments of the sump anyways.

I recommend at least a pair of peppermint shrimp. You could get a lot more than two though, they get along. Even 6 or 8 would be fine.

Back