Lobo Brain Questions

Northstar24

The Tang Herder
So, I got this brain a little over a year ago, and recently its started bleaching out. I've been pretty busy with work lately so my tank has definitely been a little on the neglected side. It's about a third of the way up my tank that is lit by AI LED's

This is what it looked like when I got it:
[URL=http://s568.photobucket.com/user/bluesrt/media/Aquarium/DSC00107_zps6481003c.jpg.html][/URL]

This is what it looks like now:

Is there anything I can do to save it, or should I consider it a total loss? For the life of me, I cannot seem to keep brain corals in my tank.

Water Specs:

Temp 78
Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate 0
Alk 8
Ph 8.2
Cal: 420
Mag 1300

I have some other corals in the tank that are all doing well / showing growth including:
Hammer Coral
Duncans
Leptastrea
Various mushrooms
Eagle Eye Zoas

Has it always been under that lighting?

My first thought would be to move it lower or to a dimmer area if you have one. I have always kept them in the bottom of the tank with no issues. If you move it the color should start coming back in 2-3 weeks if it is bleaching because of lighting. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Yes, been under the same lighting the whole time. It used to be an inch or two deeper in the tank but it kept falling off the rock work so I moved it to its current position. I'll try putting it on the sand. I hope I can save it, it was a really nice looking coral

I've notice recently especially under LEDs coral can look fully open and happy for weeks then bleach.Definitely on the sand bed is where I would permanently keep it.Feed it a couple times a week if it will take the food.You might even need to turn the lights down.

Its only been a couple of days, and there appears to be some color coming back in little specs. I can't get much of a feeding response out of it though, so its just going to be a wait and see game i guess. I'll continue to try getting it to feed every few days. Thanks for all the help

Its only been a couple of days, and there appears to be some color coming back in little specs. I can't get much of a feeding response out of it though, so its just going to be a wait and see game i guess. I'll continue to try getting it to feed every few days. Thanks for all the help
Good luck! :thumbsup:

Man I've never seen a brain that small. It really looks like a scaly or a trach if a brain. Anyways, sanded all the way, even in the shade. They are very fleshly and the rock work will tear them. Feed him once a week and he'll come back.

Back