Loc-Line Return plumming question

felixfish

newbie reefer
I now have 1" PVC for my return with 2 90 degree elbows connected together (over the lip of the tank) with a threaded coupling in between, then a 45 degree elbow into the tank. I am wanting to add loc-line in place of this. My plan was to take out the last 90 elbow turning into the tank with a 3/4" screw male loc-line, to a Y 3/4" to 1/2" then 2 1/2" loc-lines to distribute the water. My pump is a Mag 7, also with a branched off line for backpressure into the sump.

Should I stick with this for a little more flow, or stay with 3/4" loc-line into the Y then 2 return pipes in the tank?
Thanks,

Attachments

• tank 1-5-12.jpg
    tank 1-5-12.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,929
  • return line.jpg
    return line.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,196
I'm sorry... I don't really understand -- do you want to add one Y or two Ys? LocLine certainly looks nicer than PVC (and is much easier as you can move them to redirect flow). If this was my setup, I'd just put one LocLine Y at the end of the PVC. I wouldn't modifiy the existing PVC/return line at all, except to attach the LocLine.

I am asking to either use 3/4" or use an adapter down to 1/2" after 1 Y fitting. I just don't want to restrict flow and or add back pressure to the pump.

Should I stick with this for a little more flow, or stay with 3/4" loc-line into the Y then 2 return pipes in the tank?
Thanks,

Could you draw a pic? I have a 1" flex hose going into a 1/2" "T" with 2 90's off of it for directional flow control. I dont have any back pressure issues. I'm also running a mag7 on my setup.

I am asking to either use 3/4" or use an adapter down to 1/2" after 1 Y fitting. I just don't want to restrict flow and or add back pressure to the pump.

for my return to tank from sump i am running 1 inch pvc to a T then off of the T they will 90 down into tank to a 3/4 threaded bushing inside the 90 with double lock lines on each side - right wrong or indifferent thats my set up for maximum circulation besides the power heads in the tank
hope this helps you out

Ok These are the pieces I was wanting to get. 1" return line to the 3/4" screw on ball, the the 3/4 to 1/2 Y, then 1/2 tubes to distrute the water.

Attachments

• Loc-Line-1-2-inch-Ball-Socket-Flexible-Tube-6-inch-1.jpg
    Loc-Line-1-2-inch-Ball-Socket-Flexible-Tube-6-inch-1.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 905
  • Loc-Line-1-2-x-1-1-4-inch-Ball-Socket-Flare-Nozzle-1.jpg
    Loc-Line-1-2-x-1-1-4-inch-Ball-Socket-Flare-Nozzle-1.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 950
  • Loc-Line-3-4-inch-Ball-Socket-x-MPT-Connector-99.jpg
    Loc-Line-3-4-inch-Ball-Socket-x-MPT-Connector-99.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 908
  • Loc-Line-3-4in-X-1-2-inch-Reducing-Y-Fitting-99.jpg
    Loc-Line-3-4in-X-1-2-inch-Reducing-Y-Fitting-99.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 882
  • reducer.jpg
    reducer.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 640
Again, for a 55, I would just use one return. You can't rely on your return alone for flow -- it won't be strong enough. Unless you have a closed loop system, you will still have to have some powerheads. So why clutter up the back of your tank with even more return lines and loc lines?

Ok, I do have 2 koralia's on either end of the tank. My thought was later down the road for a larger tank, also the more flow the better train of thought. But I think it would be easy to upgrade later down the line. Should I keep the Lock line to the 3/4" or adapt down to 1/2" for the single line out?
Thanks

I am trying to understand what you are looking to do. Decreasing the pipe size doesn't add more flow, you will still have the same amount of flow. It will just be more direct vs more indirect flow.

On my 30 gallon tank, I have a mag 7 for a return pump, piped in 1/2" from the sump up to the tank. Then I increased the pipe to a 1" t with 1" 45's. I did this because the velocity of the water coming out was way too fast. The 1" pipe slowed the velocity down, but the GPH is still the same.

Yes that was my thought thinking it would produce more flow in the tank. Sounds like 3/4" loc is the way to line! Ha ok bad joke, but thanks for the advice.

Back