Locating a chiller in a room below the display tank

Sammydog

Reefing newb
I'm just planning my new tank a 3x2x2 and where I intend to put the tank, there is no space for me to locate the chiller.

Bit of thinking and I could put the chiller in the garage below on a shelf just below the ceiling so the chiller will be directly under the tank. Will only need to rout two small holes in the floor. The positives of this are, no more chiller noise in the lounge room, and no heat from the chiller thrown into the lounge room on a hot day (not to mention it is substantially cooler in the garage so the chiller should be more efficient).

The question I have is, should the pump (I will need to get a new one) be capable of getting the water from the chiller back up to the sump? I'm thinking in theory the height difference from chiller to the sump shouldn't be too different from the chiller to the tank as its currently set up, but would be interested to hear others thoughts.

I was planning on using a different pump to the return pump, or do people have the chiller on the return?

If it doesn't work I have to look at either a smaller tank, or a different tank location.

Back