Locating Your Nassarius Snails

twps

Reefing newb
I bought 3 the other day, and the immediately buried themselves when introduced to the tank. How do you keep track of them and i they're alive or not?

They will come up from the sand bed to eat. They have one of the best noses in the animal kingdom. Turn off the pumps and toss some meaty food in the tank -- watch them leap out of the sand to search for food as soon as their noses get a whiff.

I followed your advice rcpilot... one came flying out of the sand and has been very active. The other 2 are MIA, although I think I see a small tube belonging to one.

So if they're buried in the sand how do you know if they die?

I used to have 5 in my 30g tank. I think there's one left after 2.5yrs. But who the heck really knows? I could have 5 of them in there - just never seen 'em. They are always buried in the sand, so you just hope they are okay.

Usually, when a nessarius snail is really hungry, it'll come out of the sand to search for food. I've seen mine on the glass before and knew I was running the tank too "lean" (not feeding enough). I quick melted some Marine Cuisine in warm RO water and sucked it up in a turkey baster. Shot a couple pieces of meat in front of the snail. He snatched it, crawled back down the glass and burrowed into the sand bed to enjoy his meal.

Basically, if ya see em out during the day - they be hungry. They are a sand burrowing snail and would prefer to STAY submerged in the sand. They should come out of the sand to graze when you feed the tank, and then return to the sand. If they are out of the sand roaming around during the daytime, they need food soon.

But that's just my experience with my own ness. snails. I'm no expert.

I got one of these on accedent when I took over someone elses tank. I have seen it come out and head up the glass a few times but other than that it's invisible...It could be dead by now for all I know.

I started about 30 of those lil guys.I have no idea how many is in the tank now.I've gone 3 or 4 weeks at a time and not seem any of em,then one night it'll look like the sand bed is covered with em.

Back