long horn cowfish

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
Is it possible to house one in a 75 gallon? My husband wants one in the future when we upgrade. I don't have room for too huge of a tank in my house unfortunatly.

Also if anyone has any expirience with them, was it a good or bad one? Are they good fish, easy or terribly difficult and what not?

From what I've heard about them they don't do so well in aquariums. They need BIG tanks (more than 75 gallons I'd say) and if they die, they release toxins in to the water.

So overall I'd say it wouldn't be a good idea to get one.

From what i read they require a minimum of 100 gallons. Can grow up to 16 inches and are sometimes very aggressive. Their teeth also continously grow like a beavers so they need to be fed hard shell foods to keep them warn down. Neat looking fish though.

Man idk about this fish. It's cool but I don't want it lol I'm gonna have to change my husbands mind. I was already trying to and he says well then I don't want a bigger tank bc I only wanted it for the cowfish. Ugh we will have an upgrade if I have anything to say about it ;)

Yeah, they're cool but not a good aquarium fish unless you have a specialized tank. More for the person who wants that fish over all the other things they want.

Stay patient, the tank will settle out and the fish drama will subside. You just gotta find the groove!

The same LFS that told me aiptasia was a coral that I should spot feed is the one I went when I started my 10g and asked her about them. She said they can get the size of a basketball and a 55 would be fine. I'm sure that information is accurate.

Really though, they are cool looking fish, but I think you need 100+ gallons for em. =/

Washburn - Isn't there a puffer that also needs shells to grind down teeth? Figure 8 maybe? I can't remember :p

Ya from what i read Amba there is also puffers and some other boxfish that need hard shell foods once in awhile or they'll be swimming around with buck teeth. Getting made fun of my all the other fish. Not good for their self asteem. :P

Back