long nose hawkfish questions

surferido

funky buttlovin
i just bought a long nose hawkfish for my tank (which he/she is freaking sweet) can they get along with any type of shrimp that i can put in my tank...he/she is is about 1.5 inches....o and waht else can they get along with? tahnks

not to be a jerk here, But this is how poor fish decisions are made. The hawkfish is not a bad fish to purchase per say, but just buying a fish without doing any research on it is not a smart move. thats how people end up with bubble tip nems, mandarin fish and moorish idols in brand new tanks that both kick the bucket immediately all because someone was too impulsive to do 5 minutes of research. Not only is it a living animal, but its an animal that was not captively bred it came straight from the ocean and a dead animal puts more demand on more fish to be re caught and then sold again only to die with another person that didnt do their research.

Now that I have stated my emotionally involved opinions, the hawkfish will usually eat ornamental shrimps. they likely will not stand a chance. Also hawkfish can and will eat smaller fish. its mouth will get larger than you would think. It will also attack other elongated fish like firefish. I would cover the top of your tank if you do not have it covered already. they are known to be jumpers. and the last thing anybody wants to see is their brand new fish fresh off a carpet surfing session. good luck with the fish and I hope you enjoy it and please do some additional research the next purchase you make.

Last edited:
no i did research..i know about them i was just making sure taht i cant put any shrimp with them ecause i know that they will eat small fish, and shrimp. i did my research i was just wanting to make sure..i only got confused because i was going back to the store tomorrow and i was looking online and i saw conflicting species on different sites that are compatiable

i am going back tomorrow*....so dont say i didnt do my research....i was researching since Christmas and i did cover my tank since teh moment i released him/her

sounds good, sorry for the confusion. I assume you can see how I would have seen it as not having researched anything. Either way shrimp will likely be a no go (unfortunately)

yeah i just looked back at it and read it again and i saw where your coming from...but i just got confused when they were conflicting thanks alot for clearing it up...i would be the same way if someone just bought a fish and didnt know anything about it

They reek havoc onthe small CUC members. I always wondered why I couldnt get crabs and snails to live and then I saw the Hawk and trigger having dinner

Back