Looking at adding a fish, but what one?

hotimportknight

New! Big Tank Club!
The 6-line is still in outer space somewhere with the aliens that beamed him up one night, hes been missing for about a week now, so i think its time to start accepting he has moved on, its so hard to accept with out a body!
I went to the LFS today because the air headed owner told me monday that he would put in an order and get a bunch of new stuff. I told him I wanted either an algae blenny or a small sea hare, so he said he had 2 algae blennys ordered, he would add a small sea hare, the shipment will be here on friday so stop back then. Today I go in, hes not there, hes gone deer hunting until monday some time. No algae blenny, no sea hare, no nothing. they got in the shipment thursday, and all they got were like 15 chromis a mandarin, and a diamond goby, all that was left was the mandarin and chromis... AHH! No shipments till december some time, because of thanksgiving and slow shipping or something the lady said... The lady said the mandarin would be fine if I had enough live rock, which I think I do, but I dont want to starve a mandarin to death in my tank. From what I read they need a very mature tank to have enough pods to eat.
What I'm really getting at is what kind of fish would be ok in my tank, ive got a lot of big ideas, but I know some are advised against most of the time, because my tanks only a 50 gallon... At the LFS they have a nice yellow tang thats been stuck in the little tank there since I started going in there a few months ago, hes about 3 1/2 inches long, looks really healthy and all. Would he be happy in my tank? I know it is recommended to have a 75 at least I believe, but wouldnt 4 feet across with quite a bit of open area in the front be enough room for him to swim laps around? I think I might upgrade to a 75 or 90 after next semester, set it up in my new place when I move then transfer everything over, I just like the way you can aqua-scape in a 75 a lot more, and It wont be too ridiculously big for a college apartment... Another reason I like the yellow tang is I'm hoping he will graze on some of this algae. Let me hear what you guys think, I think he would be a good final addition to my tank, all my other fish are 2" or smaller and the tank looks so empty when the pygmy angel and royal gramma are hiding 75% of the time. I know some ppl said I could probably pull it off, but some I'm sure will say not to, let me hear your thoughts please? And if its a popular consensus to avoid the yellow tang what would be another fish thats not quite as big? Thanks in advance!

Well if depends on the size of tang you buy and if you are sure you are going to upgrade. They take years to get to full size if they aren't fed a lot

I think that you would be able to pull it off it there is enough swimming space but I'm not the tang expert

A small yellow tang would probably be alright for a while.Just make sure it IS small.

A mandrine will be fine,AS LONG IT WILL ACCEPT FROZEN FOOD.
Have you looked into the little scooter blennys?Their actually a mandrine,but are a lot more hardy.They are just a bit smaller,and dont have the bright color patterns.

Just got home from work. thanks for all the input so far! Hes probably medium sized (the one at the LFS) about 3 1/2 inches. He just looks bigger because hes as tall as he is long... So far its seeming like It will be ok, hell that one website underwater world had the link to said 20 gallon min, jeez. So far im 100% positive Im at the very least upgrading to a 55, cause I already have it, might as well transfer when I move. Otherwise a 75 or 90 would be very possible.
I think tomorrow I kinda wanna go grab up that tang, poor guys been stuck in there for at least a few months. I think he will be ok, there is a long of swimming room up front, all the rock work is along the back wall, but there is enough room for him to get behind and hide if he wants. Unless anyone really feels strongly against it lets hear your thoughts before tomorrow! Thanks.

I've seen people who have done it. It really depends on if your really planning on upgrading. They are very prone to getting ick when stressed which can make all you other fish sick. That's why I would have at least a 75. As for mandrine I would say tank is not mature enough. Unless it eats frozen food which I would have them show me before I bought it. Gobys are kind of cool to watch. The decision is really up to you.

I think im going to go for the tang, its a really cool fish, the woman at the LFS today put in some frozen food for the mandarin, but he didnt eat any, he was only there for 1 day so he could have been scared, but I want a decent sized center piece fish in my tank I think. And hopefully he will eat some hair algae!

remind me of what your fish load is? A yellow tang will work in a 55 for about a year. They do grow slow, but once it hits about 6 inches, it will need more room. 18 months is the max (if it about 4 inches) in your tank before it will get cramped for space. I know you are looking for a bigger fish to be your center piece. Tangs are GREAT fish but do need a lot of open swimming room. Have you though of anthias? they need a minimum of 50 gallons to thrive and you might be happy with those. They do not hide, unless there are aggressive tankmates. It is up to you, but it seems as if you have already made up your mind. I expect to see pics of your yellow tang tomorrow. :mrgreen:

Just don't push your load more than 12 inches or so. Here is a little trick, the more live rock you have, the more inches of fish you can keep. The longer your tank ages, the more inches of fish you can keep. If you are afraid to push toe bioload with an addition, but in a few mor pounds of live rock. Just leave some swimming room for your fish

-Doc

I've decided that when I move up to a larger tank, it's going to be a school of Blue Chromis. Like 5 or 7 of them. I think you could probably get 3 of them for the 50g tank. They don't get too big. They are easy to keep. A school of little blue fish swimming around, in and out of the rocks would look really cool.

What about a Coral Beauty or a Flame Angel? They don't get too big and I believe either would pick at the algae in the tank. Reef safe.

Yeah I have been slowly buying more live rock as i stop at the LFS, just like a pound or 2 every once in a while. I think im up to about 65 lbs now. Man I stopped at this one crappy fish store in the town over everyone said dont bother going to. Well I did stop there to see what he had, and he was getting out of saltwater I think, he had huge tanks full of live rock, 3$ a pound... I got a few smaller pieces and left him with a few hundred pounds there. And with the other angels, those would work, except I already have a cherub angel in there, and I hear strong warnings about not mixing angels? I'm calling around right now trying to locate the smallest yellow tang within 50 miles...

Alright the only other tang within an hour drives range is at... PETCO! she lady said it was about 2-3 inches, so it sounds smaller than the one in town here by an inch maybe. Which would be nice. But last time I went to petco to get a pair of maroon stripe clowns, I called to see if they were there, I drive all the way there and 3/4 of them are dead or dying in the tank... Uh no thanks. Do you guys think its worth waiting till tomorrow and driving all the way to point just to see if it looks like its going to live for more than a week? I think thats what I'll probably do, i don't work tomorrow anyways. Oh and the one in town is 10$ cheaper than petcos... Ill go check out the one in town today and the one in stevens point tomorrow, and just get the best looking one, hopefully the smallest one.

Last edited:
Right now my fish load is: a 1.5" clown, a 2" clown, a 2" pygmy angel, and a 2" royal gramma.

You're done. Sorry to say it, but when those fish mature, the tank will be crowded already.

Both clowns will get 3 or 4". The pygmy angel will get 3" The royal gramma can get as large as 3" . Thats 9" of fish in a 50g tank. You're going to be right at 5g per inch of fish at that point.

I'd stop and enjoy the tank for awhile.

Yeah I know these fish will get bigger, but not very fast I dont think. The clowns and gramma at the LFS are something like 8 years old I think he said, and they are very large. But I figure within 7 months Ill have a 75 gallon, and 2 years after that Ill have god knows what, cause after that no more moving around from school to school and summers and stuff. Probably go with a 180 or something right after I get my bachelors.
I went in to the LFS to check out the yellow tang there, I estimate hes not as small as i though, the owner was there and guessed 3.5-4" so too big, I'm going to go and investigate petco in point tomorrow, they are a lot better than the one in the other direction in Wausau, this one the lady actually knew what she was talking about on the phone. She asked if I was having algae problems for some reason and said they have a few lawnmower blennys that just devour their hair algae they get, because their lights are on all the time. Oh well it cant hurt to go look and see if the tang appears to be healthy. They have a purple tang at the LFS that is the perfect size, I'm hoping the yellow tang tomorrow is about that size. I think If i can find one that size that will be a fine last tank mate. Before he hits 5 inches im sure ill have god knows how big of a tank... The only limitations now is the ability to pack up and move in less than a year.

Stay away from that purple tang.From what Ive seen of em at my LFS,they get fairly big and aggressive(at every one I seen was aggressive).

Rc's right.Its time to stop with the fish and start working on stocking some coral.

Why must it be a Yellow Tang?Work within your tanks limit and not what the future will hold.Go with a firefish or something.IMO,a 50g is to small regardless what size the tang is.I feel you will be having a big crash with your impatience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firefish are cool, pretty chill and look awesome... Maybe even try another sixline... What about a goby? something to stick near the bottom, frown at ya all the time...

Back