Looking for advice on a new addition

quality_reefer

It's good stuff...
Right now I'm running a 20gal FOWLR system with hopes of coral later on. I have a firefish and a clown and would love to add another fish but I feel that might crowd the tank too much. That being said, I need some advice on a great invert addition.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I read that you dont need to adhere to the 1 fish/10 gallons rule with inverts. If it's true then I'd love to add some more life to the tank.

No, I would add a 2-3 astreas, 1-2 nassarius, 1-2 turbos, 5-7 blue/scarlet leg hermits and maybe a skunk cleaner shrimp. You really need a clean-up-crew if you don't already.

Sorry, forgot to mention that I do have about 5 or 6 snails and 7 hermit crabs. I see them more as utility though. What I'm looking for is something interesting that will make up for only having two fish =P

I'm debating shopping online for inverts. I'm a bit hesitant though because ordering live critters through the mail just seems so...questionable.

Last edited:
There are a couple really good, reputable sites out there. I know LiveAquaria has been great for me, since I have one quasi-decent LFS in my area, and it never has a decent selection of corals or inverts, plus it drastically overprices anything but the most common fish. As for inverts, I really like my pincushion urchin (although he does have a habit of stealing my frags to use as hats). Urchins in general are really cool critters, although your tank is too small for a Long-Spine. My peppermint shrimp are little hellions, and I've heard several other people say the same thing about theirs, so I would stay away from them if you want coral. Stars are pretty nifty, and make great additions to your CUC as well, but research before you buy. Many of the prettiest ones aren't reef safe, and sand-sifters require huge tanks with deep sand beds, or they starve. Feather dusters are pretty, inexpensive, and reef safe. And you could always try a cleaner shrimp or a fire shrimp. Those are pretty and useful!

Thanks Samhain. I'm looking around at the featherdusters and they've caught my eye. It does say it requires a a steady diet of phytoplankton. I dont have corals yet but will the duster be able to survive in a FOWLR? Of course I can buy supplements if need be.

+ 1, k! These critters are pretty good at filtering nutrients out of the water column. And there are always things like microvert and even rod's food that are great for providing the nutrition the fan worms need.

Back