looking for cheaper fish ?? help ??

sluggerdood

Reefing newb
a friend and i want to start selling fish out of our houses to get some extra side money. the only problem is we dont know where to get fish cheap enough to turn a profit. all the online stores have fish for like 10 bucks more than what we could sell them for. does anyone know any cheap online stores or what route we should look into to get this started ?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HeNy9aWm6I]Coral propagation -- Episode 1: Propagating the rose bubble tip anemone RBTA - YouTube[/ame]

Coral propagation is the way to go if your looking into making some money

yes i also say propagating corals is the best way to go, zoas are easy to frag because they do grow fast, other corals are the same way, but getting ON SUBJECT about fish

i would reccoment learning as much (the right way) as possible about breeding and having eggs and fry, a good breeding pair of clowns (for example)will cost you some bucks especially the real fancy types( picassos and others) so an initial investment will most likely have to be done, but breeding pairs (i may be wong) do breed frequently , and if you know what your doing you will have a litter(dont know what babie clowns are called) of clowns and you can sell them for a good profit

found this link on another thread here (Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders Associate)

If you're serious about it, you should try contacting marine wholesalers to see what you need to do to buy fish from them. That's really the only way you'll get fish cheap enough to sell (unless of course you take on fish breeding). Another thing to look into is zoning laws in your area may prohibit you from doing this. My LFS used to sell out of his house until another LFS with an actual store reported him to the police and the guy ended up having to move his whole operation because of it.

I just spent 60 bucks today as well as traded 2 anemones and a lemonpeel angel fish for a variety of coral frags. This was all pure profit to the reefer that simply cut off grown sections of his own corals.

I would agree that you would make much more easy profit by propagating corals than trying to rear fish which is very labor intensive.

Raising fry is very expensive. It would be a while and a lot of trial and error before you turn a profit. Speak to Wes about it. Look at his build thread for his baby clownfish.

Back