Looking for DIY LED services.

tritan

Reefing newb
Does anyone enjoy making led setups? Ive read that some people love to do it as a hobby. I am looking for a fairly large setup. I am currently running 8 T5 bulbs on my 125g and am tired of dealing with bulb replacements and I think one of my ballasts are going so figure its a good time to upgrade.

I'm sure I could do it myself but as I started researching I found that there is a lot of thought that goes into it so I figured I would see if anyone that's experienced is interested in making some side cash and want to help me out. Feel free to shoot me a message and we can work out the details. Thanks guys.

It is actually very simple. These guys make a plug and play set-up, so no soldering is involved.

Rapid LED

You can contact them and tell them exactly what you want. They may even build it for you in house and ship, just ask.

Yeah I was looking at those. The solderless ones seem pretty sweet. I will have some questions going forward if I go this route.

I have a 120g thats 60" long, I cant remember how deep off the top of my head. How do I determine how many LED's I would need? Also what degree lenses would be optimal for the tank below? The heatsink that I mount it to will likely be retrofitted roughly 8" from the top of the water. Heres my tank to get a better idea of what I am working with.

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/562/photougz.jpg

Tritan – I bought my LED’s from Rapid and they offer quality products along with great service. I got the 36 Ultra Premium LED DIY Kit w/ dimmer using 80 degree lenses for my 65 gal which I believe is 24” in height. The LED’s sit about 7” or 8” above the water line and it works amazing. This kit was the solder one. If you have some experience with soldering and messing around with wiring then it’s pretty straight forward just time consuming to tin pos/neg terminal of each LED pad then go back to solder each wire. Took me couple hours to put everything together but all part of the joy of this hobby. Have a look through my gallery at my pictures and if any questions please ask away.

Also, if you give Rapid a call they will be able to help you pick the best setup for you tank.

+1 fast
I just assembled and have my RapidLED rack up and running.. however there is one caviot... you need to be good with soldering and wiring.
.. and agreed... Mike will take good care of you!

I'd say we can give Mike at RapidLED five stars * * * * * and not blink twice about it.

He, or someone, failed to send me a free non-dimmable driver he promised.. and when e-mailed he sent it out ASAP, no questions ask. That allowed me to add a couple of white LED's and another heat rail at his shipping expense since he owed me the driver.. he's straight up.

Last edited:
I went ahead and put in an order with RapidLED.

Their 125g set does not include fans for the heatsinks. Do you think it would be advantageous to put some on there or are just the heatsinks adequate?

Their 125g set does not include fans for the heatsinks. Do you think it would be advantageous to put some on there or are just the heatsinks adequate?

Any questions with the wiring give me a shout, that is one of my skills AND I just completed mine. .. so it is fresh on my gray matter. The instructions aren't intended for the non-experienced assembly person.

I do not have fans on my heat sinks. But I bought the 36" long heat sinks not the rectangle ones AND I have a five bladed 42" ceiling fan running over my aquarium. Mine are warm to the touch but don't get hot. However, I have not had them in hot weather yet. I will say this, they do NOT produce ANY WHERE NEAR the heat my four MH lamps were. In fact my big stud computer and video cards are producing the bulk of heat in this room now.

FYI: A rule of thumb on heat is if you can put your hand on it and leave it there it is less than 130°f. ... 130°f is the average pain threshold for a human hand. Generally speaking if electronic products do not get hotter than that they are good. LED's are diodes (light emitting diodes), and that should go for them too. But be your own guide, fans will buy you some safety factor, move the heat away from your aquarium better, and provide additional peace of mind.

I'm liking my RapidLED lights!!!!

Last edited:
So I went ahead and purchased the dimmer controller with it because he said it wouldnt work without one. Is there anything else besides fans and the controller that I should look into?

Also, what are all the things that a newb led owner should know going in. I know I read somewhere not to run them at full blast. Keep it under like 90%. This can be adjusted within the drivers and using a multimeter, correct?

So I went ahead and purchased the dimmer controller with it because he said it wouldnt work without one. Is there anything else besides fans and the controller that I should look into?

Also, what are all the things that a newb led owner should know going in. I know I read somewhere not to run them at full blast. Keep it under like 90%. This can be adjusted within the drivers and using a multimeter, correct?

I don't know anything about the not full blast thing. These are diodes... they conduct current one way and not the other. LED's shunt some of the current to ground. In simple terms the resistance process of shunting current to ground is used to produce the specified light frequencies according to the shunt circuit design and materials used. They "turn on" when enough current & voltage is provided, and usually have a fairly broad range of voltage they will pass and draw current from. I would have to have the "not full blast" thing explained to me. As for myself, I'm not worrying about the not full blast thing. BUT.. you must properly sink the heat produced by the LED chip!!!!

Now, it could be the "not full blast" thing came from having trouble with the drivers handling the current draw, too. Depending on the circuit design, in some cases the opposite could be true. Reducing the class A amp. output, if done by shunting inside the driver, could produce more heat than running wide open. If your drivers run hot wide open reducing power (dimming) could add life, if they run cooler.... or if dimming causes more heat then turn them up... you get the drift. .. I suspect the not wide open thing is all about heat. and.. I can't logic any other reason.

I would expect the LED was designed to be run wide open or they would of designed it to be "less wide open" in the chip, at the factory (meaning they would limited the current draw to manufacture a quality product with reliable failure rates).... as long as you properly sink the heat away from the LED chip. This means using the proper amount of heat sink compound and getting a good contact with the heat sink. Too much or too little compound can result in the LED not sinking enough heat and being damaged. ...In fact... the race for fame in LED's is to see who can produce the most light at the least current draw and specified light frequencies. (Some are so bright and produce so much heat they are liquid cooled. These are being used in the latest state of the art flight simulator projectors. The graphics being produced from those LED's are bright and mighty realistic after being projected on the inside of a mirrored dome. It is getting hard to tell you are not actually flying a real aircraft.)

I put about a "two BB's" sized dab of heat sink compound on the center of the back of mine and every one of them squeezed out some compound when I screwed them down. I looked under a few to be sure and was happy with that amount. If any failed to squeeze out compound all the way around, I checked the compound spread by taking them back off and added a touch if I thought it necessary. I think that happened once.. maybe twice, out of 52 LED's. To accomplish this I was careful to place the LED chip straight down on the heat sink and try to keep it level within reason as I tighten each of the two screws in turns so the compound wouldn't squeeze out some odd direction and thus not have enough on the opposite direction. I got my screws tight enough to feel comfortable that the compound was thin but in good contact with both the heat sink and the back of the chip, ... that is tight enough!

Does all this mumbo jumbo help?

Last edited:
I went ahead and fooled around with dimmer settings and as it turns out my drivers do run a good bit cooler with the dimmers turned down. I am running mine at what looks like about 3/4 power.
Being light is an exponential power that is not what is happening, but it appears about like it. Anyway my dimmer pots are set at about half way, rotation wise. And the heat sink rails are quite cool to the touch at that setting.

BTW: With the RapidLED models you can run all off one dimmer or can run a dimmer on each driver. You have to have a "pot" for each driver you want to dim independantly.

Last edited:
Shipment should be in today. I came up with a drawing of the layout I plan on running but have a question.

On one heatsink there is 24 led's (8 white, 11 blue, 3 violet, 1 green, 1 red)
Do I use 1 driver for the whites, 1 driver for the blues, and another for the rest? The violet, green, and red have a max mA of 700 so I am assuming it would be wise not to run them with the whites or blues.

Does this make sense?

hey, there is some1 doing this build on a local forum. here it is if your interested in reading it. it;ll probably answer all your questions and some. onedesign1 on the site is really good on building diy leds. i've seen 6 builds from him and all are over top. i would get these over radion any day. it got a ton of good info i believe.
Designing LED for 6ft long tank - Page 3

Last edited:
Nice, Ive been researching my butt off. I was able to piece that information together through all the various readings. I have everything half wired up now and should finish up tonight. Maybe ill post some pictures.

I've been thinking about doing some supplemental LED's for my AI setup. I'm mostly happy with the setup I have now, but I'd really like to get some red/green/UV/cyan in the mix. I've got the option of upgrading to the new AI's with the red and the green, but I still feel its missing the UV/Cyan portion of the spectrum

How hard is it to wire these things up? I was thinking of the thin heat sink that Rapid Offers, and running it across my tank the long way.

Back