looking for sand

yote

In Memoriam
Does any body here in the Chatt town area have any white sand they wanna sale ? I really dont want to pay 20 bucks for a 15lb bag of sand if I can get out of it. looked at all the local hardware stores for some aragonite sand but all they got is either gray or yellow. :frustrat:
Also,,if yall have any other suggestions that would be helpful to.

Yep,,,home depot,lowes,the only place I aint checked yet is 84 lumber,,,,guess i'll stop in there tomorrow on my home from work.

Not really in no big hurry for it jelly. Just wanna get sand in the tank before I start adding base rock

If I had known several weeks ago I had 20 gallons of araganite substrate in a 30 gallon trash can, was leftover used substrate from a tank that was torn down. I dumped it in my driveway a couple weeks ago

lol,,,Just my luck. I was talking to a friend from while ago,,He told me that the ace hardware in spring city had some white sand for 2 or 3 buck per 50lb bag. Im gonna run there on lunch tomorrw

I was thinking someone had said that buying sand from a hardware store was a no no. I dont know for sure though. I would make sure before I used it though

Ironman said:
I was thinking someone had said that buying sand from a hardware store was a no no. I dont know for sure though. I would make sure before I used it though

After trying it I will agree. I wasn't satisfied with it. Best sand I got, I paid a friend $20 to bring me some back from Florida. About 80 lbs.

jermpool said:
After trying it I will agree. I wasn't satisfied with it. Best sand I got, I paid a friend $20 to bring me some back from Florida. About 80 lbs.

I was gonna have my sister in law to bring me some back when she goes to Flordia,,but she's not going untill september

You would need to get sand as far out from the beach as possible. Reg beach sand would be full of all kind of stuff. Also local laws prohibit/restrict gathering of sand in FLA. I think its one bucket a day with a fishing license.

I think the problem with hardware store sand is the silicate levels. you could have a major algae bloom. Beach sand is very dirty and has alot of parasites. Best thing is to break down and buy what you know works. store bought sand!!! its would only cost about $50 to $75 to fill a 55 gallon. thats a minimal expense compared to the other stuff you need. why do you want sand anyway? it blows all over the place and makes a mess

Glad to see you recognizing the fact that your nothing without my wealth of knowledge :).

Just kidding you did teach me a thing or two about killing a 150$ 1" coral once :)

Back