looking for sand

do we really need to do this, you kill something of mine then Ill kill something of yours and so on till neither of us have anything left

yote said:
Its a 55 gal. 48lgx12w. Im thinking I want try a DSB this go round

I know a lot of people swear by it but I read an article in Aquarium Fish Magazine Jan. 07 last night about the negative side of a DSB. I'm not saying don't do it but you still might want to read it.

RevReefer said:
You would need to get sand as far out from the beach as possible. Reg beach sand would be full of all kind of stuff. Also local laws prohibit/restrict gathering of sand in FLA. I think its one bucket a day with a fishing license.

That shoots that idea outta the water. Cause if I bought a fishing license i'd have to fish,and there aint a whole lot along a beach you tie a trot line to.
:frustrat:

jermpool said:
I know a lot of people swear by it but I read an article in Aquarium Fish Magazine Jan. 07 last night about the negative side of a DSB. I'm not saying don't do it but you still might want to read it.

I basicaly just want enough sand for a couple of jawfish to be happy in.
Guess I will just break down and buy some. I'll bribe the wife into using her paycheck for it:mrgreen:

OK,,now heres my next question on sand.
Has anybody had any experince with the Bahama Oolite sand? I like the special grade but I want some that will be easy on sand shifter and sifters to.
Wife gives me the OK to order sand,and now I cant make up my mind on which kind I want.

Common yote, you were about to buy sand form lowes, now you got all perticular? JK! I really know nothing about sand. Hey revhtree what sand did you get in your 125?

lol,,,,if you think thats bad Iron,,,at times it'll take 2 or 3 days to decide which coral I want when I go in at bermuda,,and and i stop in there at least 3 or 4 times a week

thats not bad at all, your a dedicated hobbiest that is picky about quality. and has the patience to make sure things are done right. Very good trait in this hobby. Spur of the moment buying usually ends up in failure

Ironman said:
thats not bad at all, your a dedicated hobbiest that is picky about quality. and has the patience to make sure things are done right. Very good trait in this hobby. Spur of the moment buying usually ends up in failure

Well said Iron...like in the case of someone who buys a small baby flame angel and puts it in with an established pigmy angel. Then watches it get beat to death :frustrat: Planned purchases are always better! :mrgreen:

Ive got plenty of money to blow! how many times have you paid $70 for a fish just to see it die in 1 hour.:shock:
thanks for bringing it up jerk! I never said I always made planned descisions

salt newbie01 said:
Well said Iron...like in the case of someone who buys a small baby flame angel and puts it in with an established pigmy angel. Then watches it get beat to death :frustrat: Planned purchases are always better! :mrgreen:

I take it you done this Ironman? Think of it this way, if somebody doesn't make a mistake how can they learn anything? It's not like these fish come with an instruction manual. I accidentally killed a porcupine puffer, niger trigger, and a big velvet damsel. But now I know not to use a water hose to top off my fish tank. :death: :frustrat:

Ironman said:
Ive got plenty of money to blow! how many times have you paid $70 for a fish just to see it die in 1 hour.:shock:
thanks for bringing it up jerk! I never said I always made planned descisions

If I paid 70 bucks for a fish,and it died with an hour. My wife would be handing me a set of divorce papers,,lol

Actually I am kinda picky, not just with my reef stuff, with every thing I buy. I been lucky with my 30 gal reef though. The only fish I had die was a little yellow watchman goby I got from fish mania. But that was because a yellow tail devil,,,I mean damsiel killed it. Course there were the sally light foot crabs,which I kinda think I might accidently murdered while they were molting. Other than aint lost nothing.

We had a Flame Angel once. I can proudly say that I didn't kill it. I think we had it about a week. Not sure why it died. but it wasn't my fault.

I had a flame angela and I would have done anything in the world if it would have died... Man i still hate that )(#*$&%^#(*#)(*$ fish.

BTW Michael where you at and is he still alive?

bkv1997 said:
I had a flame angela and I would have done anything in the world if it would have died... Man i still hate that )(#*$&%^#(*#)(*$ fish.

BTW Michael where you at and is he still alive?

UH....why?

Ok,,Just how my luck goes.
Was gonna get my sand today,worked hard,saved my biscuit money,had enough for 2 40lb bags.
Gotta put a water pump on the wifes van.
Tryed to get her to ride her bike work, that was a no go.
was gonna borrow my brothers horse for her ride to work, bout got shot over that one.
Explained how if she walked to work she'd be helping the enviroment,saving gas,and get plenty of exercise. At which time she preceded to explain to me that I was very capable of spending the next 20 years sleeping in my tank and being fed a diet of frozen fish food.

So theres the update on my quest for the perfect reef sand.

yote said:
Ok,,Just how my luck goes.
Was gonna get my sand today,worked hard,saved my biscuit money,had enough for 2 40lb bags.
Gotta put a water pump on the wifes van.
Tryed to get her to ride her bike work, that was a no go.
was gonna borrow my brothers horse for her ride to work, bout got shot over that one.
Explained how if she walked to work she'd be helping the enviroment,saving gas,and get plenty of exercise. At which time she preceded to explain to me that I was very capable of spending the next 20 years sleeping in my tank and being fed a diet of frozen fish food.

So theres the update on my quest for the perfect reef sand.

Sounds like what usually happens to me. Knock on wood. So far nothing bad has happened. Went yesterday and got 2x4's, pipe, fittings and valves, and my sink. Picked up some tank cleaner today.

Back