Looking for some lighting advice

Bob

Reefing newb
I am new to saltwater and I have a bio cube 29 with HQI lights. Even with the addition of a cooling fan my water temp is high. Originally I was thinking about adding led moon lights but know I'm wondering if I should either replace the HQI or at least cut back on the time I run the stock lighting. I have a clam and a mixture of corals as well as a few fish. Thatmakes me think 'll need to continue to use the stock light as a total switch to led lighting may be over my budget.

Look into the smaller Kessil lights. They aren't too spendy and I think would work well over a 29G.
Can you afford to have your clam die from temp swings?

LED's are the best lighting out there, hands down. If you spend the money on a good set (Kessil, Radions, AquaIlluminations, ReefBreeders, etc...) then they will provide plenty of light at 40-60% for anything your tank has.

What is the temp and does it fluctuate. Do you have the glass lid still over the tank? I had the JBJ 28g HQI and never had temp issues.

I had a temp problem on a small tank, thought it was the lights. I ended up moving them higher and higher until it hit me like a ton of bricks that it wasn't the lights. My heater, even with the cute two colored leds to tell you when its on or off, was on and running away even though the leds said it was off. I too would be curious what the temp swings are at night and during the day. A clue for me that took me a while notice was that it wasn't cooling off at night but I never noticed because I rarely had my hand in my tank at night.

Well I picked up a kessil lamp, the deep blue ocean as my LFS had one on a display tank that liked the look of. I set it up on my tank and the coral truly pops but I'm not sure if I like how much it changes the colors of my livestock.

Congrats on the new Kessil!! Also wanted to say, I wasn't trying to be a bitch about the clam. Just wanted to make a point. Can you adjust whites and blue seperately like on the bigger Kessil?

No not on this model think I'm going to add an LED stunner or white moonlight to add back some white light. Didn't think you were being a bitch.

Everything/body seems to like the light but it really shifts the colors and can't really see anything from across the room. Kinda wishing hadn't gotten the deep ocean blue but the show tank at one of the LFS looked stunning. I have some white moonlight LEDs that I can add but think will still want more white light. So may wind up getting another light.

It's funny Bob, I was just watching Tanked and when they reveal the finished tanks they look awesome, and I noticed the lights are always blue. It does make for a beautiful presentation and I was just thinking I want to add more blue lights to my set up. But now that you're saying this, yes, all blue, all the time would be a bit difficult to see. See what happens when you throw your white leds at it, might make all the difference.

Back