looking for some quick info...hope someone can help

dbestnindy

Reefing newb
I have a 120g reef tank. I have an overpopulation (to say the least) of sepent stars. I had my light off and was cleaning my tank. When I put the light back on the tank there were millions of these little creaters everywhere. I knew they lived in the rocks but not to this extent. After I turned the light on they started putting off a white film. It got so bad I couldn't see through the water. Not sure what to do. I took a video and a few pictures, totally unbelievable. Any info would be appreciated.

the people at the fish store said they made for a good ecosystem but this is awful. I will call the fish store tomorrow and see if they have some in stock...thank you very much for the suggestion. Maybe I could pull a few of my rocks and give some to them.

They are really beautiful shrimp to have. I would love to have some but I like my big starfishes so thats not an option. That is the ONLY thing they will eat so when you run out of starfish you have to either get rid of the shrimp or buy starfishes for them to eat.

They might trade your rocks out my LFS did that for me when I had a pistol shrimp in my rock I couldnt catch, not sure if they want pest starfish infestation in their tanks though.

I didn't realize that serpent stars were pests. I will have to call them and see what they suggest. I posted a pic of what they look like so I am pretty sure that is what they are. My water is clearing since I ket one light on, that seemed to put them to bed. I was so afraid my tank was going to crash with all the white stuff they were putting out.

Oh wait you did say serpent stars! Sorry I wasnt paying attention and assumed you were talking about asternias.

Are you sure thats what they are? I didnt know serpent stars would even reproduce in the aquarium.

Where's the pic located? If they are micro brittle stars, then the lfs may take some off your hands. I may even buy some off you, I only have one in my tank.

Oh you put them in your profile sorry I didnt even realize.

Looks to me like you got some brittle starfish

I have never seen anything like that before thats pretty wild! I would think your LFS would gladly take as many as you can get out of there shoot I paid 10 bucks for mine and you got a farm there!

Put them on craigslist you could sell them for sure.

Yeah, I seen the pic...and I must say, that is Crazy! You weren't kidding when you said you were overpopulated. Hopefully your lfs takes some off your hands. Also, welcome to the site.

I looked up micro brittle stars and that is what they are. Maybe see if the lfs would take some off my hands. I wouldln't even take a guess as to the amount of them....simply put, over-populated. Thanks Smitty for the info.

Back