Looking to get a Skimmer!

Look into the Octopus skimmers, or an ATI bubble master. Both good skimmers, but for a bigger skimmer to run that size tank you are looking at a good chunk of change. Find one you like, that is big enough, and then start searching for a good deal on a used one.

I am going to buy whatever I need for the tank so should I just look into those brands for the size I need then.

I wasn't going to and just use the one I have rated up to a 125gal for now since something is better than nothing but I figure I will just get it now.

If you saw what I got for the tank and lights then I will tell you I got it all for $1600 and that was with the heater and pump and so on.

Hmmmm that is the next thing.

I will get the measurements of this and a few smaller one and then tonight I will be taking a close look at that 75Gal sump and see what I am going to do.

What If I were to buy one without the better pump and slap my Mag 9 onto it. I wouldn't see how it could go on it but that thing is pretty powerful though.

That Sicce pump will run cooler and draw less power than the Mag 9.5 will. Plus, those pumps are designed to run skimmers and you can buy a few different impellers to make it foam the way you want.

If you are going to re-design your sump, determine what skimmer you want, and design the chambers around it.

Sounds like a plan. Tonight I will take a closer look at the sump and see what I can see.

I figure I need to have the first chamber big enough for the skimmer and than have my refugium right next to that of course than the bubble trap and the return area.

The tank is 48" long so that should give you an idea of what i will be looking at. It is a standard 75 Gal. rectangle.

Will removing the center brace be a bad idea? It is already not attached on one side.

My return pump is a Hy-Drive 2100 submersible so it need some room in the sump. It is more cylindrical that square.

Alright before I get to the skimmer I want let me ask this first.

It says to use a sump that is 40% of your display. So I have a 75Gal sump but it is never filled all the way so it may be 50Gal at most when in use. Do they expect me to get a 150Gal tank for a sump?

No on to the skimmer question. Everyone says to get something bigger than your requirements. I have a 220Gal tank but the Reef Octopus Extreme is rated to 250Gal but with my sump it is about 270 total gallons.

Here is the skimmer - Reef Octopus Extreme Series XS-250 Protein Skimmer

Is this now too small for me? They don't make a 300Gal it jumps up to 400Gal and I am not spending another $150 for that thing.

Ok so I just had a chat with the owner of Saltsupply.com and thankfully he reminded me of the displacement so now I feel much better purchasing the Reef Octopus Extreme XS-250 for my 220Gal. It will be about $430.

I went to the Reef Octopus Website but I did not even see these on it. I saw a lot of things but the way they have it set-up i couldn't tell what was old or new really.

Back