Losing Interest

See, I dont know, I love watching my fish in the tank, playing around and I love having a fixture that I can entertain my friends with :) On top of that, the Idea that my 60g is temporary and im working on an upgrade is more excitement than anything

Can you post us all water parameters though in your tank? and what your exact setup is? this may help us see why your fish arent living.

Is there anything you notice about the fish that is unusual over the time that they were in the tank?

Maybe, if its possible, buy a fish, and speak to us on here while he is alive, start your own thread specifically about this and if things look like they are going wrong, ask STRAIGHT away. We will most likely be able to help you and will find a way to get your tank stocked :D

See, I dont know, I love watching my fish in the tank, playing around and I love having a fixture that I can entertain my friends with :) On top of that, the Idea that my 60g is temporary and im working on an upgrade is more excitement than anything

Can you post us all water parameters though in your tank? and what your exact setup is? this may help us see why your fish arent living.

Is there anything you notice about the fish that is unusual over the time that they were in the tank?

Maybe, if its possible, buy a fish, and speak to us on here while he is alive, start your own thread specifically about this and if things look like they are going wrong, ask STRAIGHT away. We will most likely be able to help you and will find a way to get your tank stocked :D
Agree,plus alot of new people we meet thru soccer or swimming or whatever,will be like,WOW,you have saltwater fish at your house......YEP.
BTW,your tank is great,I love all your mushrooms,thats my goal someday..I think it looks great...Try a nice bright flamehawk for your next fish,the clowns won't bully him

If this was my tank, and I was losing interest, this is what I'd do:

I'd take about 3/4 of those mushroom rocks to the LFS and trade them in for store credit. I would also trade the clowns in for store credit. I'd buy some new corals and a couple new fish with that store credit.

If this was my tank, and I was losing interest, this is what I'd do:

I'd take about 3/4 of those mushroom rocks to the LFS and trade them in for store credit. I would also trade the clowns in for store credit. I'd buy some new corals and a couple new fish with that store credit.

I was thinking the same thing. Should be able to do pretty good with the store credit on the shrooms...

Then the LFS turns around and sells em for twice what they credited him for...You want to sell some you can PM me:Cheers:

I had a Clarkii clownfish in there all by itself for a long time. I was finally able to catch him and trade him in for some credit. I then got the two clownfish that I have today and a yellow eyed kole tang. The tang lasted about a couple of months. Since he went away from here, I have not even tried to put anything else in the tank, I guess I have been nervous about putting anything else in there. The Clarkii was the worst bully fish that I had ever seen. It would not let anything else be in the tank with it.

very nice tank! try switchin up the corals that could gain your interest back, get yourself a nice piece and youll be hooked again :)

I would get new fish..and inverts.........i like inverts better then fish...there interesting to look at...thats my point of view..

Is it possible that the fish your losing are herbivores and you are not giving them enough to eat?The tank looks great and void of any algae. In this case you would have to provide them with everything they need.

Figure out why your fish are dying and you will start enjoying your tank.
What are all your water parms? <-- This is a very basic question and could have everything to do with your fish die-offs. Also, do your fish tend to die after a water change?

I guess it is possible that my fish are herbivores. I pretty much have tried tangs. I am not sure of any other reef safe fish to put in there. Last time I tested my H2O, it was: ph-8.1, alk-9kh, ca-460, mg-1400, and gravity was 1.025. I keep the temp between 78-80.

Last edited:
You can try a foxface...it would not be intimidated by the clowns, is an herbivore, so you'd need to supplement with seaweed sheets if you haven't got much munchies in the tank. They have wonderful personalities and are reef safe.

I guess it is possible that my fish are herbivores. I pretty much have tried tangs. I am not sure of any other reef safe fish to put in there. Last time I tested my H2O, it was: ph-8.1, alk-9kh, ca-460, mg-1400, and gravity was 1.025. I keep the temp between 78-80.

Ok, so your water parms sound good although I am interested in your 'trates. Yeah, nitrates generally are bad for corals only but it is possible, although unlikely, that nitrates could have gone high enough to hurt fish. Mandarins are particularly susceptible to nitrates. I notice mandarins look sick at 20ppm

Tangs are BIG herbivores. If you weren't feeding them they could have very well starved. I watch ALL my fish eat and make sure they get something. Once I week I overfeed so everybody gets fed but I also go a day without feeding.

YOu need to go into detective mode and really get to the root cause of your fish problem.

Also, as others have suggested you may have had compatibility issues.

Back