Lost a Tuxedo Urchin

rudabug

Reefing newb
Is it possible for a tank to cycle if the substrate and the rocks get rearranged. A few weeks ago I had a rock slide in my tank (all my rock gardening fell over in a very good demonstration of gravity). I lost a goby in the rocks and last week my Tuxedo urchin died. I have noticed that there hasn't been much algae growing so maybe it died of starvation. Every thing else in the tank looks fine. Live stock includes Blood Red Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp, Clown Fish, Blue Hippo Tang, Porcelain Crab, and Sea Conch. Plus a few varieties of Coral
40 gallon tank, I change the water weekly with distilled water between four and five gallons.
I haven't had water tested in a while. I do have a protein skimmer on the tank and a filter. I cycle the lights about ten hours a day for the daylight.

Yep, its very possible. You could also have a nitrate issue, urchins are very sensitive to nitrate issues.

Also you should find a better home for the blue tang, they need to be in an 8ft long tank for their proper health and happiness.

+1, little fish! On the cycle, the nitrates, and the tang. She's got you very well covered, rudabug!

Back