Lost anemone :(

Jmck

Reef enthusiast
Well, I woke up this morning not being able to find my tiny new BTA..

He had attached perfectly where I put him the night before and was looking extremely happy and comfortable.

After going to t he gym, I had my lights turn on for the morning and decided to look for him. Unfortunately I saw this hanging out of the powerhead. He must of detached through the night and floated around.. Im really shattered about this guy :( probably my favorite thing in the tank!

412i.jpg

415u.jpg

417l.jpg

418mo.jpg

poor thing, although, It didnt release any toxins, so all is ok in the tank :)

Ill be getting another one soon though :P powerheads off for the night this time!

They will move around in the day time too. You don't want to shut off your powerheads during the night -- the animals in the tank need the water movement and circulation.

Biff, was considering it just for the first night after getting my next bta IF he is that small. Just so this doesnt happen again. There wont be a problem if I buy a bigger one though.

I know they move around, I just want him to be able to get a firm hold somewhere so it can move around without having to detach, because that can be dangerous

oh really? that kind sucks! well, ill work on getting this thing going.. any advice onstopping them walking into powerheads.

Yeah, people usually protect the powerheads using some sort of mesh or pad. Once the anemone finds a spot and settles down, it can be removed.

I might get some mesh and cover it when I get another BTA thanks for the advice :)

worst part is, it had a protective cover on the fan, but that did nothing.

Last edited:
Josh,While that BTA looks pretty bad,it dont look THAT bad.
And +1 Biff.Even bigger anemones will themselves into places they shouldnt be.

Dont tell me that :( I thought he was completely dead. There was no movement, no nothing. :( no I got rid of him because I had to leave for uni and wasnt going to be home till really late, so didnt want to leave dead matter in the tank :(

:( Sorry Josh. I think anemones are just unpredictable. Mine was settled into one place for almost a year, then decided to travel everywhere in my tank. No telling just how much stuff was stung. Luckly I don't have any power heads in there.

Dont tell me that :( I thought he was completely dead. There was no movement, no nothing. :( no I got rid of him because I had to leave for uni and wasnt going to be home till really late, so didnt want to leave dead matter in the tank :(

It really didnt look that bad to me.I've seen them survive when they look a WHOLE lot worse than what yours did.Sorry.

:( Sorry Josh. I think anemones are just unpredictable. Mine was settled into one place for almost a year, then decided to travel everywhere in my tank. No telling just how much stuff was stung. Luckly I don't have any power heads in there.

The one I had stayed in the same spot for well over a year.Then I decided I need to slightly redirect the flow just a tad,meaning I turned a power head about 1/8 inch.The next morning the BTA was on the other side of the tank and close to $1,000 of NEW ( had them less than a month ) SPS COLONIES were nothing but white sticks where the BTA stung them. Thats why there will never be another anemone in my reef.

yea, it sucks david, I went back today and spoke to my LFS owner and he said he will get 30 BTA's in and at least one will go into the powerhead on the first day. So not much to be done

Yote, I probably should have tried to keep him, i just thought he was dead, I guess I should really give the ocean inhabitants more credit than what i did hey!

That sucks the anemone did that, I didnt think he would do that much damage, so ill make sure I watch some more. The one I have right now isnt temperamental at all, I rearranged the tank and he didnt move from his spot on the rock and didnt move when i moved my powerheads

Ill be picking up a new anemone next week though, shipment of about 60 is coming in on wednesday :D so im a bit excited.

Josh - I'm with you as I'm excited because I'm going tomorrow to pick up my purple long tentacle anemone. I had a beautiful blue carpet anemone for a couple of years and he never moved, once I placed him in the tank. I guess I've been lucky to this point. To bad I had a tank crash and lost him!

Back