lost clown?

phuture1

Reefing newb
hi guys. i can't find my little clown fish. i'm assumeing he's dead. do i move all my live rock to find him? do i wait and see if he floats out of the rock? don't know what to do. can you guys help me out even though these are probably pretty dopey questions?:ugh:

If you move the rocks, you risk stirring up gunk and detritus that could spike your parameters. Since the fish was small, I'd recommend just leaving it be, as long as you have a cleaner crew to take care of the body. How long has he been missing for? It's not unusual for fish to hide for a day or two. If he is dead, he won't float out. Dead fish stay on the bottom :( And if you have a cleaner crew, there will probably be no trace of his body within a day of him dying anyways. That's their job.

I always thought fish floated to the top too. Must be all those cartoons where someone throws dynamite into the water and all the dead fish pop up. I didn't figure it out till I had fish of my own kick the bucket.

Dead fish wont float untill they start to decompose.Its the gases that build up inside the body that brings them to the surface.

well, still no sign of my clown. i guess my cleaners took care of him. thanks for your help guys. you saved me alot of time and trouble. :Cheers:

Back